For most athletes, the half marathon target is likely to be between 80 mins and 2 hrs, or slightly over. So it is a pace not far short of the lactate threshold, but somewhat quicker than marathon pace. It is a pace where, crucially, muscle glycogen will not be exhausted over the distance, so those that train the fat burning capacity become less relevant. Given that the general training phase develops so much of the training base that will apply to your half marathon performance, there is less need for a 13 week build up after the general phase. Instead, there are two levels of a seven week build up (level 1 and level 2). There is: *a slight increase in the long run so that the distance itself becomes less of a challenge *building up the pace of parts of the longer runs to help you balance speed and distance *a race at 10km or 10 miles to help to inform the target pace your half marathon should aim for *more specific sessions at close to half marathon pace. NB - obviously there is a challenge in writing schedules that are fit for all; a 70 min HM runner will race the distance very close to their threshold pace, whereas the 2hr runner will head more towards the energy demands of an elite marathon runner in terms of the balance of glycogen and fatty acid consumption. That said, most athletes fall somewhere in the middle ground of the two, at which these schedules are pitched.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.