XTERRA TRIATHLON: 6-week Base Prep (Phase 1 of 4), v2.0 - Reusable
Cody Waite, Sessions:6 Sport PerformanceAll plans by this Coach
6-Week Base Prep Plan for XTERRA Triathlon - Re-Usable
Written by Cody Waite, Endurance Coach, Professional Endurance Athlete and co-owner of Sessions:6 Sport Performance
The Base Prep is phase 1 of your training program, emphasizing improvements in technique, general strength, and the beginnings of aerobic base building. Your best race season STARTS HERE!
My 6-week XTERRA Base Prep Plan is started you off on the right track for laying the foundation of your annual training program. This plan is intended to take place in the "off-season" after you've completed your last race of your previous season and ready to get started with your new season of training. With improved technique, strength and a basic aerobic foundation you will be ready to tackle my phase 2: XTERRA Base Plan.
BASE PREP PHASE: 6 weeks, designed for XTERRA athletes of all ability levels getting started in their "off-season" training. Detailed workouts are included for swim, bike, run and weight training (runs/rides can be done either/or road or trail). Workouts are progressive in all four training modalities. Weekly hours range from 6-10+ hours with room for adjustments for more or fewer hours to fit your needs.
This plan is written as 6 weeks of training, however you can easily extend this plan for more weeks of transitional training before embarking on your more concentrated base training phase as desired. I would highly recommend this to any newer endurance athlete and/or anyone that has more time (more weeks) before their next "A" race of the upcoming season.
Upon completion of this plan you will be ready for my more demanding Phase 2: XTERRA Base plan that builds off this XTERRA Base Prep Plan, or you can jump into your own base building program.
- Ability Level: Beginner to Advanced (adjustable by overall volume)
- Number of Weeks: 6+ (you can increase the number weeks for more strength/technique work as desired)
- Training Days per Week: 7 (can be adjusted to less)
- Training Hours per Week: 6-10+ (depending on your preference of riding/aerobic volume)
- Equipment Needed: pool & gym membership or strength equipment at home, HRM, power meter preferred
- INCLUDES: detailed strength training program; detailed swim, bike and run technique drills.
Other Plans in this Series:
COMPLETE (phases 1-4) XTERRA TRIATHLON: 25-Week Training Plan
Email Cody directly with questions now or as you go: email@example.com
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|3:00 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|2:00 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|1:52 hrs||1:15 hrs|
|3:22 hrs||3:00 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||3:00 hrs||1:00 hrs|
||2:00 hrs||1:00 hrs|
||1:52 hrs||1:15 hrs|
||3:22 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?