XTERRA TRIATHLON: 7-week Race Prep Phase (Phase 3 of 4) v2.0 - Reusable
Cody Waite, Sessions:6 Sport PerformanceAll plans by this Coach
7-Week Race Prep Phase Plan for XTERRA Triathlon - Re-Usable
Written by Cody Waite, Endurance Coach, Professional Endurance Athlete and co-owner of Sessions:6 Sport Performance
The Race Prep Phase is phase 3 of your training program, emphasizing race specific training including high-intensity intervals, running off the bike, and aerobic and strength maintenance.
This is my 7 week plan to build your XTERRA racing fitness designed to set you up for your "A" race. This program is designed to follow our 9-week Base program, but you can easily jump into this program if you have a couple months base training under your belt. Following this plan you can implement your own taper/race schedule or follow our Race Phase plan (Phase 4) available in Training Peaks Store. As a minimum prerequisite prior to beginning this plan you should be able to swim 2500 yard workouts in the pool, ride for 3+ hours on the bike and run a 75 minute long run.
RACE PREP PHASE: 7 weeks, designed for the intermediate to advanced XTERRA athlete ramping up their swim-bike-run fitness for their upcoming goal event(s). The training sessions incorporate a Vo2 max and Threshold training emphasis while maintaining the strength & endurance from the base phase, and including easy recovery sessions to allow for adequate rest and absorption of training intensity.
Within the 7 weeks of training, you will include quality race preparation workouts such as high intensity interval sessions, open water swim options, runs off the bike (bricks), and some moderate length sessions to maintain your aerobic endurance.
Upon completion of this plan you will be ready for my XTERRA Race Phase 4 plan that takes you through a short taper/recovery block leading into your goal events. You can also find our Phase 3 & 4 "combo" plan in the Training Peaks Store that combines these tow phases into one plan.
- Ability Level: Intermediate to Advanced (adjustable by overall volume & intensity)
- Number of Weeks: 9
- Training Days per Week: 5-7 (written for 7 days, but can be consolidated to as few as 5)
- Training Hours per Week: 8-15+ (adjustable depending on your preference of aerobic volume)
- Equipment Needed: pool & gym membership or strength equipment at home, HRM, power meter preferred
Other Plans in this Series:
COMPLETE (phases 1-4) XTERRA TRIATHLON: 25-Week Training Plan
Email Cody directly with questions now or as you go: email@example.com
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?