XTERRA TRIATHLON: 25-week Complete Program (Phases: 1-4) v2.0 - Reusable -- SAVE 20%
Cody Waite, Sessions:6 Sport PerformanceAll plans by this Coach
25-Week Complete XTERRA Triathlon Plan - Re-Usable
Written by Cody Waite, Endurance Coach, Professional Endurance Athlete and co-owner of Sessions:6 Sport Performance
This is my complete training program for an XTERRA peak for Intermediate to Advanced level athletes. All four training phases are included: Base Prep, Base, Race Prep and Race!
My 25 week XTERRA training program provides you with six solid months of training to take you from off-season to "A Race." The full program includes everything from strength training, drills for improving technique, aerobic conditioning, high intensity intervals, XTERRA specific preparation and testing to measure your improvement along the way, This program is designed to accommodate the intermediate XTERRA athlete to the Elite, based on adjusting both the aerobic volume and the volume of the intensity within the plan to fit your needs.
There are four phases to the 25 week plan, with each phase building upon the previous taking your fitness and race readiness to higher level all the way to race day.
PHASE 1: BASE PREP
The 6-week Base Prep block is designed to start you coming off a short rest/recovery period following your last "A priority" event of your previous season. Base Prep empahsizes improvements in technique, general strength, and the beginnings of aerobic base building. Specific workouts are included for swim, bike, run and weight training (runs/rides can be done either/or road or trail).
PHASE 2: BASE
The 9 week Base block is designed to improve your swim-bike-run fitness with strength development, then progresses to build aerobic endurance before adding in intervals at and above your lactate threshold. The programming includes our highly successful swim strength development progression of pool workouts, our 12-session Stationary Trainer Series set of indoor bike training sessions, and our run fitness development progression.
PHASE 3: RACE PREP PHASE
This 7 week block is designed to ramp up your swim-bike-run fitness for your upcoming goal event(s). The training sessions incorporate a Vo2 Max and Threshold training emphasis while maintaining the strength & endurance developed in your Base Phase. Also included are easy recovery sessions to allow for adequate rest and absorption of training intensity.
PHASE 4: RACE PHASE
The final 2 week bock is designed to de-load the accumulated fatigue from the Race Prep Phase intensity, while increasing your race-ready freshness. Intensity remains while overall volume drops and recovery is in place, leaving you ready to race!
- Ability Level: Intermediate to Advanced (program adjustable in both volume and intensity)
- Number of Weeks: 25
- Training Days per Week: 5-7 (written for 7 days, but can be consolidated to as few as 5)
- Training Hours per Week: as little as 8, as many as 15+ (adjustable depending on your preference of aerobic volume)
- Included: Detailed Strength Training Program (PDF), Run Drills (PDF), Cycling Drills (PDF)
Other Plans in this Series:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?