To perform the Heart Rate (HR) test, you will need a HR Monitor. Although this isn’t the test you’ll find on websites and other paddle programs, it is the HR test I would like you to perform for the workouts we’ll be doing. "As always, before engaging any new exercise regimen or workout, especially if you are not used to regular exercise, it is important to consult with your primary care physician."
Heart Rate Test:
1. Don your heart rate monitor.
2. Start paddling. Warm up for 10 -15 minutes, gradually increasing your heart rate, but never letting it get difficult.
3. Perform 5 intervals. 1 minute on and 30 seconds off. Go as hard as you possibly can in each 1 min interval, even if you can’t keep up the intensity by the last one.
4. Upon completion of the intervals, cool down for 10+ minutes. Stretch when you get back to land/dock.
5. Review your HR monitor data. Find the interval with the highest Heart Rate and record that heart rate. This will be the number we use to determine your percentage for our training days!