For the Last Minute Prepper... if you didn't get on a 16 week plan, or you've already started training and have a base built up, here is an abbreviated 8 week plan to prepare for your next SUP race.
This plan would also benefit someone coming off a big race, and only having 8 weeks for a mini-block until their next peak performance is needed.
8 weeks of preparation to get paddlers ready for a 6-13 mile race. Originally built for The Graveyard course at the Carolina Cup, this plan would be suitable for any paddler looking to commit a lot of time to advanced training. Expect the strength workouts to become difficult, and the on water work to peak with very high intensities. You should be able to commit 12 hours a week to training. Volume will decrease as intensity increases, prepping you for your best race yet.
This plan has you in the water 6-7 times a week and in the gym 3x a week. In the event of inclement weather, perform the paddling exercises as another form of cardio i.e. biking or running. As written, Wednesdays are off days and Sundays are long paddle days.
To perform the Heart Rate (HR) test, you will need a HR Monitor. Although this isn’t the test you’ll find on websites and other paddle programs, it is the HR test I would like you to perform for the workouts we’ll be doing. "As always, before engaging any new exercise regimen or workout, especially if you are not used to regular exercise, it is important to consult with your primary care physician."
Heart Rate Test:
1. Don your heart rate monitor.
2. Start paddling. Warm up for 10 -15 minutes, gradually increasing your heart rate, but never letting it get difficult.
3. Perform 5 intervals. 1 minute on and 30 seconds off. Go as hard as you possibly can in each 1 min interval, even if you can’t keep up the intensity by the last one.
4. Upon completion of the intervals, cool down for 10+ minutes. Stretch when you get back to land/dock.
5. Review your HR monitor data. Find the interval with the highest Heart Rate and record that heart rate. This will be the number we use to determine your percentage for our training days!