This 13-week, comprehensive XTerra triathlon training plan encompasses all aspects of off road triathlon training including injury prevention, mental skills, ankle stability, mountain bike skill focus, and transition practice. This race tapers into travel for the event, and contains specific preparation and travel tips throughout the taper period. Best of luck and thanks for considering this plan for your XTerra Blackwater preparation!
- 100 swim with breaks at each wall to focus on any form changes that need to take place.
- 4 x 25 kick (OR, 4 x 30 sec vertical kicking in deep water if your pool has a deep end.)
- 100 pull, buoy no paddles
- 8 x 25 (alternate 25 RPE 7, 25 RPE 5) on :15 rest
- 2 x 25 kick with board
- 4 x 50 swim (25 RPE 8, 25 RPE 6) on :20 rest
- 2 x 25 kick with board
- 2 x 75 swim (25 RPE 4, 25 RPE 5, 25 RPE 6) on :20 rest
- 100 nice and easy
3 SETS OF EACH ROUND OF EXERCISES
- 15 Goblet squats with feet on floor (Elevate heels for better range of motion!)
- 15 stability ball hamstring pulling
- 20 Bird Dogs (opposite arm/leg balance)
- 20 single leg deadlifts with feet on floor (No added weight - just focus on balance!)
- 12 push ups with strict form (no sway to low back)
- 12-15 resistance band rows or cable weight
- 12 Single Leg bridge lifts per side
- 10 single leg body weight squats with feet on floor. Focus on good ankle stability and use something as a cue to maintain balance.
- 1 min forearm plank
- 30 second forearm side plank each side
- 20 bridge lifts (both legs) with 3 second hold at the top of each
1 hr 50-60% Zone 1-2.
Keep this effort aerobic today! Perfect morning spin option, or an afternoon mountain bike ride.
Testing procedure: Dynamic leg warm up (active stretching: leg swings front to back, across body etc) Warm Up: - 20 min warm up at comfortable pace below threshold. 6 x 20 sec controlled surges in speed with 20 sec between each. 5 min at endurance effort. Test: - Start test by hitting lap button on your watch or Garmin. Run 1 mile on a flat or repeatable course at your best effort. - Hit lap button to end test and continue to cool down. - cool down 10 min
Build to zone 2 over 20 minutes. During the second 10 minutes, complete 3 - 5 spin ups to 110+ rpm, thinking about your pedaling dynamics and the efficiency of your stroke.
- 4x9 min ON 85-90% FTP (or 7/10 effort RPE,) - every 3 min during the intervals, stand out of the saddle in a slightly harder gear for 15 seconds then sit back down and continue with interval.
The Idea of this set is to maintain a hard effort without any drop in power from the full gas surge back to Sweet Spot.
- 4 min OFF full recovery between.
Finish with 4 x 45 Seconds Full Gas, 90 Seconds between
100 pull no paddles w/ buoy 5 X 50 yard catch drill: you can use fins as mentioned in the video to help you focus on the drill without losing momentum in the water. 20 sec rest between each 50 5 X 50 swim no equipment - focus on using technique from catch drill without so much exaggeration. 20 sec rest 200 pull w/ buoy no paddles 200 swim moderate effort putting the drill to action. 8 X 25 yd kick with board
See Attached Document & follow video links as necessary
-TRX Squat Jumps: 3 x 10
-Seated Box Jumps: 3 x 10
-Split Squat Jumps: 3 x 15 (each side - 30 total)
Complete each set as quickly as possible. Plyo's are designed to increase the speed of muscle contraction and will be accentuated when performed quickly.
Do not sacrifice form for speed