This test will determine your Critical Swim Speed. Enter this in your TrainingPeaks settings (see below) to see the planned distance and duration for all swim workouts.
6 x (50 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests),
4 x (25 FS in Z4 + 25 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests).
1 x 400 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
5 mins easy active recovery,
1 x 200 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
1 min rest.
400 Choice in Z2
For all swims (whether in a Yard or Meter Pool) follow the distances in the Workout Description section. There is also yard/meter button you can toggle in the Workout Details section below.
This fitness test helps you to set your power or heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
12 mins in Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
5 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z1-Z2 (easy/steady).
Run/jog for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Try to keep a steady pace but if you need to take walk breaks that is OK. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
Get warm or dry clothes on and walk for 5 mins. Optional gentle stretching session after.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 2 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Alternate Lunge: 2 x 8 (Exercise 5)
3. Single Leg Squat: 2 x 6 (Exercise 3)
4. Reverse Lunge: 2 x 6 (Exercise 6)
5. Bent Over Row: 2 x 12 (Exercise 12)
6. Push Up: 2 x 12 (Exercise 13)
7. Glute Bridge: 2 x 12 (Exercise 18)
8. Bird Dog: 2 x 7 (Exercise 19)
9. Plank: 1 x 2 (Exercise 21)
10. Reverse Crunch: 2 x 12 (Exercise 28)
Flexibility: 5-10 minutes
1. 2 x 12 = 2 sets of 12 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 20-40 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
This workout works well on an indoor bike trainer; you can also do it outside. It's not supposed to be high intensity, so keep a lid on this one. You will improve your fat-burning and efficiency.
10 mins in Z2,
5 x (20 secs in Z3 + 40 secs in low Z2).
8 x (5 mins in upper Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2).
5 mins in low Z2.
A nice steady run in Z2. You can do these runs off the bike if you have time. If not, do them separately.
These sessions will be done at lower intensities, and will progress in duration. The goal is to build your endurance ensuring you can easily swim the distance on race day and still have lots of energy left for the ride and run.
1 x (100 FS in Z2 + 100 Drill* in Z2 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (200 Pull in Z2 + 5 secs rest).
1 x (200 Pull in Z2 + 10 sec rests),
2 x (100 FS in Z3 + 10 sec rests),
2 x (100 Pull in Z2 + 15 sec rests),
2 x (100 Pull in Z3 + 15 sec rests).
1 x (50 Back in Z2 + 50 Breast in Z2) + 5 secs rest,
1 x (50 Choice in Z2 + 50 FS in Z2).