USAT Level II Coach Heather Casey designed this 12 week training plan as an action plan to peak at the right time for your Sprint distance triathlon this season. The plan is intended for the beginner level athlete.
Injury prevention is the number one goal for all of Coach Casey's plans and private coaching clients. Benefit from her background as a certified strength and conditioning coach with many different core workouts infused in this training plan.
New for this year, you can become a member of our team of athletes and gain support and camaraderie from others on our private Facebook page. We have an open forum for athletes to ask questions of our coaches plus training tips and videos. The membership is $25 a month for a basic membership or $75 a month to have a 30 min phone consultation in addition to your membership. Of course. the membership options are totally up to you but a really nice way to have extra support for a minimal fee. You can find out more on our website: https://peakstatefit.com/team-memberships
Keep it in Zone 2 today. Spin easy with cadence 90 for the first 10 minutes. Drills: 1 min Single leg drills / 4 reps each leg 5 min easy spin with top of the pedal drill. Focus smooth full circle pedal stroke with a primary focus on the scraping from your heel then completing the power stroke with the top of the stroke keeping power! repeat both drills once spin easy to the end pulling all the technique together.
Warm up: Foam roll or dynamic stretching ___________________________________________ Main Set: - 30 min staying in zone 2 as aerobic base using Galloway method of run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute.
With Mini Band:
- 15 lateral steps each direction (toes pointing forward/ knees tracking over ankles
- 15 front kicks
- 15 back kicks
- 15 cross body kicks
- 60 sec forearm plank hold (booty and core TIGHTLY held in and take deep inhales and exhales)
- 12 superman lower back lifts
- 12 bird dogs each side (opposite arm / leg balance on hands and knees)
- 60 sec high plank (top of the push up) with knee drive to opposite elbow
100 pull no paddles w/ buoy 5 X 50 yard catch drill: you can use fins as mentioned in the video to help you focus on the drill without losing momentum in the water. 20 sec rest between each 50 5 X 50 swim no equipment - focus on using technique from catch drill without so much exaggeration. 20 sec rest 200 pull w/ buoy no paddles 200 swim moderate effort putting the drill to action. 8 X 25 yd kick with board
- 10 min easy spin (zone 1-2) RPE 4-5
- 3 x 2 min zone 4, RPE 7 on 8 min zone 2 recovery, RPE 5
- 5 min easy spin (zone 1) RPE 4
Dynamic dry land warm up
Warm up: (600)
- 200 swim focus on form
- 200 pull with bouy no paddles
- 4 X 25 sprint on :15 rest
- 4 x 25 kick no fins
Main set: (850)
- 5 X 100 swim BSE (Best Sustainable Effort) :45 sec rest. Record times on all 5 using whatever method you use (Garmin, digital watch or swim clock.)
- 50 easy effort kick
- 100 very easy effort swim of any stroke
- 4 x 50 variable as:
25 fast / 25 easy
25 easy / 25 fast
50 all fast
50 all easy
Cool down: (500)
- 100 kick
- 100 swim easy
- 100 pull no paddles
- 100 kick
- 100 swim easy
45 min aerobic ride. Keep this ride very easy, this whole ride should be conversational paced. When you are finished with the ride i want you to transition into your running shoes within 5 min.