IRONMAN® 70.3 80/20 Polarised Training Plan | HR & Power | 18 Wk Polarized | Email Access to Coach
Karen Parnell L3 BTF Coach & IRONMAN CertifiedAll plans by this Coach
Your IRONMAN 70.3 18 Week Race Plan
Your IRONMAN 70.3 18 Week Race Plan
Welcome to your 80/20 polarised IRONMAN® 70.3 training plan!
We will use the very latest techniques of polarised training to get you to the finish line in great shape & enjoy your training journey on the way. This plan is 18 weeks with a general phase of 9 weeks, a specific phase of 7 weeks & a 2 week taper.
Polarised training is a model which means you will spend 80% of your time training at a moderate intensity & 20% at a high intensity. Polarised training plans generally outperform other training methods & help prevent injury.
In the specific phase, the weekend swim & bike or bike & run workouts are scheduled on the same day & should be done back to back as a "brick" session to simulate the demands of 70.3 racing.
On weekdays during the specific phase, bike & run workouts scheduled on the same day are optional bricks. These sessions are good opportunities to practice pacing & nutrition & to test out race equipment so that these things are familiar on race day. There is an optional Sprint or Olympic Distance practice race or race simulation in week 15.
In the general phase there are sessions in HR Zone 3 & above to develop speed, muscular endurance & aerobic capacity.
This plan is for first time 70.3 athletes & even first time triathletes and enable you to finish strong at your event. You should be able to swim & run comfortably for 45 minutes & cycle for 60 minutes & complete at least 3 hours of aerobic exercise over seven days.
The weekly training load starts at 8 hours in week 1 & peaks at 14 hours in week 16.
What do you get in the plan:
- 18 weeks of swim, bike, run and S&C sessions (HR & Power)
- S&C sessions to help prevent injuries from a NASM Certified Personal Trainer
- Links to videos that will help you complete the sessions. Swim Drill videos, S&C exercises and more
- Links to downloadable session plans including comprehensive swim session plans
- The bike sessions include Heart Rate & Power based profiles that you can download and use with your indoor trainer (Zwift, Garmin etc)
- The Run session have Heart Rate structured session for download to Garmin etc
You should consult your doctor before embarking on any physical fitness training. For any of the sessions, especially the strength and conditioning sessions, if you are unsure of the exercises then seek the help and advice of a professional near you.
My name is Karen and I live in Southern Spain near the IRONMAN® Marbella 70.3 event where I coach and run Triathlon training camps all year round (ChiliTri). So, if you would like face to face coaching and come and check out the Marbella course please get in touch. Karen is an IRONMAN® Certified Coach and British Triathlon Federation Level 3 Coach. I also work as a Coach Educator & Assessor for the British Triathlon Federation, helping to develop the next generation of triathlon coaches in the UK.
Karen is also a Qualified Personal Trainer specialising in endurance athletes so all of the S & C sessions are tried and tested.
Good luck with your training and IRONMAN® event!
For more information on the 80/20 triathlon training methodology please see the 80/20 Triathlon book by Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?