Before you run: Do some activation for the body. Here's a good list of items. Select a combination of these - and vary them from day to day. Total activation time should be 15 minutes :-)
You are not doing ALL of these exercises - you can pick a mix of 8-12 and do one set of each, or pick fewer and do 2-3 sets of each. As you like :-)
Vary these up!
DYNAMIC STRETCH OPTIONS
Full range of dynamic stretch motions: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20821629/a-dynamic-stretching-routine/
- Plank - 30-60 seconds
- Side plank - 30-60 seconds
- Side plan w/ hip lift - 15-20 lifts per side
- Bridges (one legged, to really isolate the glute on each side) - 15-20 reps
- Bridges - straight legs on a stability ball - 15-20 reps
- Bridges - bend legs on a stability ball - 15-20 reps
- Side leg lifts - 10 reps with leg straight up, 10 reps with leg out just slightly (maybe 5 degrees) over the top one with foot inverted toward ground, then 10 more with leg out a little bit further than previous set (maybe 10 degrees) foot still inverted toward ground
- Leg circles - you get in position as if you are doing a leg lift. Lift the top leg, then do 5-10 circles of the leg in one direction. Then 5-10 circles in the opposite direction. THese are not huge sweeping arcs :-) - just little circles.
- Static lunges - 15-20 each leg (really focus on the glutes doing the work here) - so you lunge in position, one leg at a time
- Dynamic lunges - 15-20 - you alternate legs each lunge
- Walking lunges - 15-20 lunges, alternating legs, per walk
-Single leg lunges - 10-20 per leg (back leg is propped up on chair or other item. Make sure that item is STABLE!!)
- Lateral squats - w/ band, 15-20 reps to each side (so when you squat, you step to the left or right instead of just going straight down)
- Single leg squats (you can hold something for balance if you need to maintain form) - 10-20 reps per leg (or less if you need to maintain form!)
- Walking side squats (also sometimes called "monster walk" - 10-20 squats per side per walk
OTHER GOOD ACTIVATORS:
- alternate superman - 15-20 reps per leg
- clamshells - w/ band - 15-20 reps per leg
- Single leg deadlift - 10-20 reps per leg
- Calf raises - 10-20 reps (toes straight, toes inverted, toes everted)
Run easy to steady - as your legs feel, but don't exceed steady. Anywhere in the range below is good. :-)
Easy 10 min warm up choice swim. Let body get used to the water and stretch out.
8 x 75 with :20 rest as 25 R arm/25 L arm/25 swim. Focus on underwater pull and finish of stroke.
8 x 25 with :10 rest sculling with buoy between legs. Reignite your connection with the water on your hands and forearms.
10 min easy pull - use small paddles, don't stress shoulders.
8 x 50 with :15 rest kicking with fins and kickboard - feel the stretch in your ankles with pointed toes
8 x 50 with :15 rest build each 50 from easy to hard - build to 85%
10 min easy swim cool down
15 min easy
SLD: 10 x
- 30 seconds left leg
- 30 seconds right leg
- 1:00 both legs
10 min easy spin
*This should be done at recovery/easy intensity. The drills are strictly about pedaling efficiency - not working hard.
Perform 10 reps of each move to activate your legs and core. Once you're comfortable with this warmup, it shouldn't take more than 5 min.
1. 4-way lunges - Start in a split squat, knees held at 90 degrees. Hold your arms up in a W, pulling your shoulder blades down and back. Use glutei to stabilize the movements. Keep your R knee steady over your foot. Repeat each on the left side. 1. Lean your body forward over your front leg, then squeeze your glutei to pull back up. 2. Rotate while stabilizing your hips. 3. Rock your torso. 4. Pulse your hips up and down 3 inches.
2. Good Mornings - Stand with your weight on your heels, toes pointed slightly out and knees soft. Pull your shoulder blades down and together. Lean forward, pushing your hips back, then return to standing.
3. Glute Step-Backs (curtsy) - Step back with L leg crossing behind your right. Drop you left knee to the ground. Pressing thru your R heel return to standing. Repeat on other side.
4. Calf Raises, 3 ways - Lean into wall, putting weight on elbows. With feet pointed straight ahead lift heels. Repeat with feet pointed in 30 degrees and again, turned out to 45 degrees.
Light cardio warm up, such as walk/jog or core work. Dynamic stretches.
Take the first 10-15 minutes to warm up easy into the run. (as you need). Then, run at a steady, zone 2 effort.
In the final 5 minutes, do 6 x 20 second strides*, with 30 second easy jogs between.
600 WU with fins as 100 swim/50 kick, repeat
5x100 on 2:00 (25 R arm/25 L arm/50 swim)
6x75 with :15 rest (25 kick/25 no free/25 free)
4x200 pull with :20 rest (25 scull/75 pull, repeat)
8x25 on :40 (catch-up drill)
6x75 with :15 rest (25 kick/25 no free/25 free)
200 cool down