Dynamic warm up with 5-10 easy warm up run.
1) Reset your watch and begin the test, holding best average pace for 20 minutes.
2) Stop your watch at the end of 20 minutes. It should feel like you couldn't have done it any faster by the end.
3) Sync results. Take note of the average pace and average heart rate if you use a heart rate monitor.
4) Update threshold pace and heart rate in your accompanying running Performance Console Template. This will derive your heart rate zones for you.
5) ***Important: Update threshold pace, threshold heart rate, and heart rate zones in the TrainingPeaks Athlete Account Settings in the "zones" section. This will ensure your workouts will build with correct paces for the prescribed intensities.
If you don't have a HR monitor use pace as your threshold/intensity indicator and enter that into TrainingPeaks account settings.
This field test derives what's called your Base Interval or what is sometimes called your T-time.
300 yards, kick/swim by 50 yards
200 yard freestyle swim/easy
Pre Set ***Field Test***
Swim 5 x 100 at maximum effort on 10 seconds rest in between. Note the gross time for the swim entire swim including rests. Plug this time into the Performance Console to derive your "BASE" pace.
Broken 1650 (lengths in parenthesis)
(11)275 r :15
(10)250 r :15
(9)225 r :15
(8)200 r :10
(7)175 r :10
(6)150 r :10
(5)125 r :10
(4)100 r :10
(3)75 r :5
(2)50 r :5
200 Swim/any stroke/easy
60 minute ride. 75% effort by FTP/HR/RPE
**Base Focus: 3-5 Circuits, 10-12 reps, Medium-Heavy Weight
**Click on the Paperclip above to view the MOV video file, or click hyperlink. http://bit.ly/BasicStrength1
Dumbbell Incline Chest Press
Pull-up or Pulldown
Incline Crunch or Little Big
Determine your Functional Threshold Power (FTP).
1) Warm up with an easy spin for 15 minutes.
2) Set your watch/head unit to display current and normalized power then begin the 20 minute test. (start your watch/head unit)
3) For 20 minutes, the objective is to rmaximize wattage. (highest gear and high cadence you can sustain on average). Even paced effort, or build into it gradually and don't try to get it all in a short time otherwise you'll burn out quickly.
4) At 20 minutes stop your watch/head unit and save the data. then cool down for 15 minutes at a recovery pace. The average watts minus 5% is your FTP.
Document the average watts and the average heart rate. Plug those figures into your Performance Console to derive your HR and Power zones. We recommend the 5 zone schema.
Important***Also plug those results into your TrainingPeaks Account Settings in the "zones" section. This will ensure your workouts will build with correct paces for the prescribed intensities.
If you don't have a HR monitor or Power meter use perceived effort as your intensity indicator.
150 kick/mix of kicks with kickboard
150 swim/mix strokes
3x200 Freestyle Build @ Base+10
7x100 Freestyle, Descend @ Base +10
10 x 50 Frestyle sprint 37.5/Recover 12.5
200 Easy Non-Freestyle
60 Minute Run. Aerobic HR/RPE.
Running by duration and intensity, so exact finish distance will be ability dependent.