Training Plan for Ultra 50km to 65km Mountain Race INTERMEDIATE who train 5 times per week
Clare PearsonAll plans by this Coach
Be inspired! Be the best you can be.
For a 50 to 65km Ultra Trail Race with climb of 3000m to 3500m.
- For Runners with some base fitness who want to train 4 times per week
- For races from 50 to 65km with 3000 to 3500m of climb
- Designed for those who want to train with a heartrate monitor
- Introductory pack included with the plan
- Longest training session is 7 hours
- Most training hours in one week is 13 hours
This is a beginners ultra programme
You do need to have some running experience for this programme, a minimum base fitness level would be running regularly 4-5 times per week including one long run of 90 minutes so if you can do this you are ready to start the programme. It has a base period of 6 weeks to build up some endurance base so is ideal to start after a down period.
There are 5 training sessions prescribed for each week, so it requires some weekly commitments with long sessions at the weekend.
Training days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, but so long as you stick to the same order of sessions and rest days, taking Tuesday as day 1, you could do the sessions on different days.
The plan has your target race on Sunday, but it could be a Saturday race.
It is based on heart rate zones, but can be adapted for those who do not have a heart rate monitor.
If you are not sure about training zones and would like to know more before you buy you can check out this blog created by John: What does a heart rate monitor tell you?
- Weeks 1-12 work on your base fitness and increase your endurance.
- Weeks 12 - 18 work on up-hill running strength and some flat speed.
- Weeks 21 - 24 include a good taper.
It is based on 3 week meso-cycles (2 weeks hard and one week easy).
If you are interested in this programme but not sure if it is the right one for you please don’t hesitate to contact me at email Clare.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|7:04 hrs||9:00 hrs|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||7:04 hrs||9:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?