24 Week Programme for Trail Race 20 - 25km - ADVANCED with 6 sessions per week
Clare PearsonAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Be inspired! Be the best you can be.
For a 20km to 25km Trail Race with climb of 800m to 1000m.
- For experienced runners
- For races from 20 to 25km with 800 to 1000m of climb
- Designed for those who want to train with a heartrate monitor
- Introductory pack included with the plan
- Longest training session is 3 hours
- Most training hours in one week is 8 hours
This is an advanced programme
You need to be an experienced runner to begin this programme. It assumes some experience of speed work and an ability to run 6 times per week, so if you can do this you are ready to start the programme.
There are six training sessions prescribed for each week, so it requires a relatively high level of time commitment (up to 8.5 hours per week at times).
Training days are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays, with harder sessions planned so that you have sufficient recovery time; it is not advisable to swap days around, however if needed you can rest or do some easy cross training on easy run days.
The plan has your target race on Sunday, but it could be a Saturday race.
It is based on heartrate zones, but can be adapted for those who do not have a heartrate monitor.
If you are not sure about training zones and would like to know more before you buy you can check out this blog created by John: What does a heart rate monitor tell you?
- Weeks 1-6 work on your base fitness and increase your endurance.
- Weeks 12 - 18 work on up-hill running strength, speed and endurance; these are the heaviest weeks.
- Weeks 18 - 24 work on some flat speed and leg speed and include a race taper.
It is based on 3 week cycles (2 weeks hard and one week easy).
If you are interested in this programme but not sure if it is the right one for you please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|6:35 hrs||3:00 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||6:35 hrs||3:00 hrs|