Return to Running Part 1
Thelen CoachingAll plans by this Coach
This 12 week training plan is designed to help a runner who has suffered an injury that required extensive recovery time or one that may have led to a period of non-weight bearing such as surgery or a stress fracture. This training plan gradually re-introduces weight bearing activity in the form of walking. This allows the athlete the ability to ease back into training without the stress of running. There is no running at all in this training plan as the goal is to build base of weight bearing activity in order to transition over to running in Part 2. In addition to walking, there is cycling, swimming and water running to maintain the cardiovascular strength while building weight bearing tolerance.
It is important when recovering from any injury such as surgery or a stress fracture to follow the guidance of your surgeon or MD as to when to begin introducing weight bearing activities.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?