Thelen CoachingAll plans by this Coach
This 16 week training plan is designed to help a runner who has suffered an injury that required extensive recovery time or one that may have led to a period of non-weight bearing such as surgery or a stress fracture. This training plan builds upon the endurance developed in Return To Running, Part 1, with a gradual transition from walking to running to allow the body to adjust to the weight bearing forces of running. By the end of the 16 weeks, you will be running short durations for four days per week and one longer run/walk combo on the weekend. In addition to walking, there is cycling, swimming and water running to maintain the cardiovascular strength while building weight bearing tolerance. This plan also introduces strength training and stretching as part of the weekly routine.
If recovering from an injury that did not require Return To Running Part 1, this is a safe way to build back into running.
It is important when recovering from any injury such as surgery or a stress fracture to follow the guidance of your surgeon or MD as to when to begin introducing weight bearing activities.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.