David YuillAll plans by this Coach
This Aerobic Base Building plan is suited for Advanced (ie: sub 40min 10km) level runners. The training composes 8 weeks of building an aerobic base where the majority of the runs are done under a specific heart rate (Maximum Aerobic Heart Rate - see below for more details).
The first week has two tests to determine starting level of fitness and guide in required paces for the higher intensity sessions. After the 8 weeks, the 9th week incorporates the same two test, plus an additional one. This allows you to quantify improvement.
This plan is ideally suited for anyone who wants to build their aerobic base, is starting to run again or is returning from injury. The weekly distance and intensity is increased gradually to allow appropriate buidling. Further the HIIT sessions are specifically targeting your aerobic system without overly taxing your muscles.
As a general guideline it works on 4 to 5 days training per week. The sessions are a mixture of time and km based as well as pace/heart rate based sessions. It is strongly advised to utilise a heart rate monitor to obtain the maximum benefit from this training plan.
The average weekly km's run is 40-45km which equated to 4h30m training per week.
VERY IMPORTANT: De-activating autolap on your watch will also make the sessions easier to administor and follow. The reason for this is, most sessions are programmed that your watch (provided synced correctly with TrainingPeaks and right model) will automatically lap for you. This makes navigating through the session far easier.
If you are carrying an injury then I strongly advise you recover first before embarking on this program. Should you develop a niggle during the program, then I advise that you back off the Hight Intensity Interval (HIIT) sessions and replace them with MAHR/Low Intensity sessions. Once your niggle subsides, then you can continue with the HIIT session. Should you develop an injury, then I advise that you stop the program and seek the required medical advise before continuing on the program.
Week one includes three test sessions, namely:
1. VO2Max Pace Test: This session will determine your VO2Max pace. Majority of the training sessions are run at a certain % of VO2Max. For example, if your VO2Max pace is calculated at 5m30s/km, then 90% would equate to 6m07s/km.
2. MAF Test: This test is used to determine your running speed below your aerobic threshold. It is based on calculating your maximum aerobic heart rate (MAHR). See below terminology on how to calculate this.
3. Lactate Threshold Test (LTHR): This test is used to determine your lactate threshold heart rate and pace.
1. Maximum Aerobic Heart Rate (MAHR) is calculated by subtracting your age from 180. For example if you are 40yrs old then your MAHR is 140bpm. Sessions run when MAHR is prescribed entails that you run at whatever pace you can keeping your heart rate BELOW your MAHR. Should your heart rate exceed this then you walk until it comes back below your MAHR before you continue to run again. For more information on this I strongly advise to you to read up further by clicking on the link https://philmaffetone.com/method/. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, then these can be run at within the range of 50-65% of VO2Max Pace
It is important to stay disciplined on your Low Intensity Runs (ie: keeping below MAHR or below 65% of VO2Max pace), as these allow your body to recover and prepare for the Higher Inensity Session the next day or later in the week. Running these Low Intensity sessions too hard, increases risk of injury and not obtaining the desired adaptations from the High Intensity Work. This will compromise your chances of obtaining your desired goals on race day.
Hope you enjoy ;-)
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?