This fitness test helps you to set your power or heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
12 mins in Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
5 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 6 (Exercise 6)
3. Step Up: 3 x 10 (Exercise 7)
4. Bench Press: 2 x 12 (Exercise 14)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 15)
6. Bird Dog: 3 x 8 (Exercise 18)
7. Lying Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 (Exercise 19)
8. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 20)
9. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 26)
Flexibility: 10-15 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30 - 50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z2 (easy/steady),
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
5 mins in Z1 to Z2 (easy).
10 mins in mid Z2,
5 mins in upper Z2,
15 mins in upper Z3 + 2 mins recovery in Z1,
12 mins in upper Z3 + 2 mins recovery in Z1,
8 mins in upper Z3.
5 mins in Z2.
Run straight off the bike:
10 mins in Z4,
10 mins easy in Z2.
A nice steady run in Z2. You should be able to chat at this pace. These runs will progress your endurance without causing excess fatigue.
10 mins in Z2,
5 x (20 secs in upper Z2 + 40 secs in low Z2).
9 mins in upper Z2 + 1 min recovery in low Z2,
8 mins in upper Z2 + 1 min recovery in low Z2,
7 mins in upper Z2 + 1 min recovery in low Z2,
6 mins in upper Z2 + 1 min recovery in low Z2.
10 mins in Z2.