Frequency and consistency is key in training for any endurance event. This 13 week plan is specifically designed to prepare athletes for Short or Mid-distance Duathlon racing. This plan is complete with mental skills preparation, core work to help with injury prevention, strength training, and travel tips. This is a plan was designed to suit the intermediate level duathlete, or the data driven veteran of the sport. The plan is 13 weeks because the focus is to taper into TRAVEL. As racing presents a unique set of demands, such as possible traveling, exposure to an adverse climate different from your home, and racing on varied terrain, specific preparation is essential for optimal performance gains and race execution.
- Export Friendly
- Email support
- Convert to 1:1 coaching at any time!
- 20 air squats
- 2 X 20 stability ball prone leg lift
- 2 X 15 each leg, resistance band single leg abduction
- 2 X 20 each direction resistance band monster walks
- 2 X 15 single leg dead lift without weights
- 2 X 10 stability ball hamstring curl
- 2 X 10 bulgarian split squat (body weight OR choice of dumb bells)
1 hr 50-60% Zone 1-2
Build to zone 2 over 20 minutes. During the second 10 minutes, complete 3 - 5 spin ups to 110+ rpm, thinking about your pedaling dynamics and the efficiency of your stroke.
- 4x9 min ON 85-90% FTP (or 7/10 effort RPE,) - every 3 min during the intervals, stand out of the saddle in a slightly harder gear for 15 seconds then sit back down and continue with interval.
The Idea of this set is to maintain a hard effort without any drop in power from the full gas surge back to Sweet Spot.
- 4 min OFF full recovery between.
Finish with 4 x 45 Seconds Full Gas, 90 Seconds between
With Mini Band:
- 10 lateral steps each direction (toes pointing forward/ knees tracking over ankles
- 10 front kicks
- 10 back kicks
- 5 semi circles each direction
- 60 sec forearm plank hold (booty and core TIGHTLY held in and take deep inhales and exhales)
- 12 bird dogs each side (opposite arm / leg balance on hands and knees)
TWO ROUNDS OF EACH MOVEMENT:
- 60 sec High Plank Arm / Leg Raise
- 60 sec Slo-mo mountain climber
- 60 sec dead bug
- 60 sec hollow rock
See Attached Document & follow video links as necessary
-TRX Squat Jumps: 3 x 10
-Seated Box Jumps: 3 x 10
-Split Squat Jumps: 3 x 15 (each side - 30 total)
Complete each set as quickly as possible. Plyo's are designed to increase the speed of muscle contraction and will be accentuated when performed quickly.
Do not sacrifice form for speed
- 10 minutes, gradually building from Zone 1 to 2
- 10 minutes, building gradually within Zone 2 wattages. Focus on pedaling dynamics, get off and do mini band kickbacks if gluts are not firing!!
- 5 minutes, at the beginning of every minute, perform a 10s spin-up to 110 RPM or higher. 50 seconds between.
- 6 Min, 30 seconds ON, 30 OFF - Zone 5/VO2 Max
- 5 Min Easy
- 6 Min, 15 seconds ON, 15 seconds Easy - Zone 6, HARD as you can go repeatedly on each effort.
- 5 Min Easy
- 10 Min, 10 seconds FULL GAS SPRINT, 50 seconds recovery
Ride 10 minutes tapering from Zone 2 down to a nearly effortless spin.
Be mindful of Bobby's lesson on good forward lean in running. Carry this into ALL of your running!
Begin nice and easy, build to a zone 2 run. Sustain this for 9 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat, cool down for final 5 minutes.