Christopher BurnhamAll plans by this Coach
From the popular book Weight Training for Cycling: The Ultimate Guide this is the base weight training program to kick off your strength training program. Included in this program is a 2 week transition period and a 12 week progressive base training program. While originally written for cyclists, this program would work well for any endurance athlete.
This program is a 3-day a week strength training program that can be used with your cycling training. Our recommendation is to do your strength training on your harder riding days. This allows you to concentrate your hard work, as well as concentrate your recovery. This leads to bigger gains and can avoids over-training.
Included with the training plan is a detailed exercise guide (attached to first weeks workouts) with clear instructions for all of the prescribed movements. While reading the book Weight Training for Cycling:The Ultimate Guide is helpful before starting this program, it isn't required.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.