Daniel MathenyAll plans by this Coach
Goal - Limit losses and even possibly set yourself up for a better season. Set up your next season with an off-season plan proven to springboard into your season build.
Who it’s for?
*those coming straight out of season with fitness.
*Only need HR but can use power
* Since results show limited loss in threshold power, vo2max and 40min time and avg power; it can be useful for many disciplines (road, mtb, gravel, fondo, racing, crits, road races, ultra endurance, etc.)
- ability to ride 4-5x/wk for total of 6-7hrs/wk
- heart rate monitor minimum; Power not required but can be used.
Rønnestad, Askestad, Hansen. HIT maintains performance during the transition period and improves next season performance in well-trained cyclists J. Eur J Appl Physiol (2014) 114: 1831-1839.
Results of study:
* no reduction in VO2max. Low-intensity group lost vo2max
* moderate increase power at 4mmol La+ (aka Threshold) vs loss in control (+5.4% vs -4.7%)
* moderate increase in power LT from Trans to Prep phase (more than control)
* from pre-Trans to post-Prep phase, high increase in Fractional utilization of vo2max at 4mmol by 7%
* gain in avg power in 40min time trial vs drop in avg power (5.1% vs -6.4%)
* only Intensity group improved 40min perf from pre-test to post-Prep even with preparatory training being same in both groups ~8% gain
**Outcome may vary due to study adherence, current fitness level, age, etc
Duration of module -
- 8 week module
- 4-6 days/wk total training
- 108-115% of FTP in 6x5min or 5x6min based on 88-100% of HR max
- 1x/wk HIIT = 8 total intervals sessions
- goal of highest average power output over intervals (if power used)
- Low intensity aerobic training (identified as HR 60-82% of HR max) all other training to result in ~6-7 hrs (*including one HIT day)
- fit in HIT when you are best prepared every 7-10. Doesn't have to be exact day.
- can combine short LIT (aerobic) sessions to have less days/wk or more rest days.
- *Note: some athletes need complete rest & detraining for both physical & mental rejuvenation required to perform next season. So it can be argued that you may want some loss in performance for highly trained athletes.
If you've completed this, then try a build like VO2max or threshold module here. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/my-training-plans/FASTR
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.