Daniel MathenyAll plans by this Coach
Goal - To front load blocked days of intensity with overreaching so subsequent weeks are single sessions of very high quality
Who it’s for? This is a power-based adaption of original research, but can be performed with Heart Rate or simply Rating of Perceived effort at well. Since it reported results improve VO2max, Max Aerobic power, Power at Tempo; it can be useful for all disciplines at different points in training (road, mtb, gravel, fondo, racing, crits, road races, ultra endurance, etc. Can be executed indoors or outdoors.
Ideal in a build from base into intensity or if competition occurs near the end of the module.
- current fitness to ride 4-6x/wk for total of 9hrs/wk
- power meter for HIIT sessions or power-based smart trainer
- HR can be used for other aerobic sessions
B. R. Rønnestad J. Hansen S. Ellefsen. Block periodization of high‐intensity aerobic intervals provides superior training effects in trained cyclists. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2012, 24: 34-42.
Results of study:
+2.1% Watt max
+Max aerobic power
+Power at Tempo by 10%
**Outcome may vary due to study adherence, current fitness level, age, etc
Duration of module -
- 4 week module
- 5-6 days/wk total training
- 108-115% of FTP in 6x5min or 5x6min (or if using heart rate 88-100% of max HR)
- 1x/wk HIIT session following a 5x/wk initial block = 8 total intervals sessions
- Absolute intensity should increase as capable with goal highest average power output over intervals.
- Low intensity aerobic endurance filling other training to result in ~9 hrs of total training (including one HIT day)
**NOTE: LIT (low intensity training) was identified and based on concurrent research that correlates closely 60-70% of cycling vo2max resulting in efficient Z1/Z2 training, 60-82% of max HR
- Complete as many of the back to back intensity days until you can't maintain power or HR intensity. Especially if beginner or moderately trained. Aim for at least 3 days minimum to get the overreaching. Fill rest with low intensity, then go into 2nd week. Study had to match total intensity with control group hence 5 straight days; and I've seldom seen this success except in highly trained.
- if you race or complete a hard group ride, can be used in place of, but not in addition to the intensity.
- if volume of aerobic training increases or any moderate intensity (tempo or threshold) workouts are added, it may affect ability to perform quality of intensity session.
If you complete this block try another specialization block here, https://www.trainingpeaks.com/my-training-plans/FASTR
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?