Includes Structured Workouts
Goal - this module is intended to elicit both physiological (vo2max & power/speed at lactate threshold) and performance improvements since dynamic race demands with high variance of on and off power.
Who it’s for? This is a power-based adaption of original research, but can be performed with Heart Rate or simply Rating of Perceived effort at well. Since it reported results improve VO2max, LT, time to exhaustion, and reduces time trial time; it can be useful for all disciplines at different points in training (road, mtb, gravel, fondo, racing, crits, road races, ultra endurance, etc. Can be executed indoors or outdoors. Since dynamic great for race specificity for repeated high power surges.
- current fitness to ride 4x/wk or ~4-7hrs/wk
- power for HIIT sessions or power-based smart trainer
- HR can be used for other aerobic sessions
Manipulating high-intensity interval training: effects on VO2max, the lactate threshold and 3000 m running performance in moderately trained males.
J Sci Med Sport. 2007 Feb;10(1):27-35. Epub 2006 Jul 28.
Esfarjani F1, Laursen PB.
Results of study:
+7.8% Velocity @ vo2max,
+32% T to exhaustion at VO2max (~1:45min),
-3.4% 3000m TT, (~11-12min effort)
+4.7% Velocity at LT (although an improvement, not Significant Difference from Control of +1.9%)
**Outcome may vary due to study adherence, current fitness level, age, etc
Duration of module -
- 14 week module with 10 wks training,
- 2 test weeks to start & finish (optional),
- and 2 low intensity adaption weeks (optional per testing)
- 4d/wk total training
- 130% of V02max for 30sec bouts
- 2x/wk HIIT session separated by at least 2 days between = 20 total intervals sessions
- Absolute intensity remains constant (no power increase), BUT increase # of repetitions per session from ~7 to ~12 by end of 10wk block.
- aerobic endurance 2x/wk = 20 aerobic sessions
**NOTE: these were identified as recovery days in study at 75% of velocity at VO2 in running study was adapted in cycling due to velocity scaling from running pace to cycling power not 1:1. So more closely 60-70% of cycling vo2max resulting in efficient Z1/Z2 training.
- if you race or complete a hard group ride, can be used in place of, but not in addition to the intensity.
- if volume of aerobic training increases or any moderate intensity (tempo or threshold) workouts are adding, it may affect ability to perform quality of intensity session.
If you're not ready for this module, then you may want to try these; (coming soon!)
- shorter block
- aerobic preparatory
- sustained VO2max https://bit.ly/2OBJEPv
- lactate threshold
If you want more; then try one of these (coming soon!)
- VO2max sustained https://bit.ly/2OBJEPv