Jim PetermanAll plans by this Coach
Building sustained power is key for a strong time trial performance. This 12-week training plan utilizes both heart rate and power (although a power meter is not needed) to help you build up sustained power and guides you through a taper period so you’re fresh for race day.
You’ll work on building power and riding comfortably on the time trial bike with intervals that progressively get longer. As race day gets closer, you’ll transition to intervals that simulate race day. Throughout the training plan, you’ll also perform off-the-bike work to prevent injury and maintain the strength gains obtained during the base period.
The plan is perfect for a variety of skill levels. Overall riding time is kept low for the working individual but the plan includes options for increasing volume if wanted. Detailed workout descriptions are provided to make it easy to follow along.
This plan is ideally started 12 weeks from your goal race (the final week of the plan helping you prepare for either a Saturday or Sunday race). To get the most out of this plan, it is recommended (although not necessary) that you complete the 12-week “Base Training for the Time Trialist” plan. Your best performance starts here!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.