Jim PetermanAll plans by this Coach
Improving time trial performance begins with a strong base period. This 12-week training plan begins with a field test to establish both heart rate and power zones (although a power meter is not needed).
During this plan, you’ll work on building power and riding comfortably on the time trial bike with moderate-intensity intervals (like tempo intervals). VO2 intervals follow to prepare you for the transition to threshold work that makes up the build period. A field test finishes off the plan to track progress and to help establish training zones for the next phase of training. Throughout the training plan, you’ll combine off-the-bike and on-the-bike strength work to further improve performance.
The plan is perfect for a variety of skill levels. Overall riding time is kept low for the working individual but the plan includes options for increasing volume if wanted. Detailed workout descriptions are provided to make it easy to follow along.
This plan is ideally started ~24 weeks from your goal race. To continue building on your progress from this plan, check out “Build and Race Taper for the Time Trialist”. Your best season starts here!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.