WATTS UP! A 15-Week Power Building Program for Masters Cyclists
Dr. Tyrone Holmes, Ed.D.All plans by this Coach
Welcome to Watts Up! This 15-week power building program for masters cyclists is designed to increase your functional threshold power (FTP), aerobic capacity (VO2 Max), anaerobic capacity and neuromuscular power. It differs from the 12-Week Watts Up! power building program in that it offers older legs more opportunity for rest and recovery. As you implement this plan, please keep the following points in mind:
1. This is a very hard training program so you should be in excellent physical condition from the start.
2. The plan consists of five, 21-day mesocycles. As such, it takes a 16/5 training approach (16 days of relatively hard training with 5 days of recovery).
3. Make sure you actually recover during the recovery block - you'll need it!
4. Ride frequency is 5 days/week.
5. Some of the workouts will require an indoor trainer (e.g., Pyramid Intervals, Single-Leg Training and Pyramid Intervals: Constant Cadence).
6. There are two high-intensity workouts each week. These are the "bread and butter" workouts that will increase your power output. Your aim is to be at full strength for each of these high-intensity workouts. There is also one long ride each week designed to maintain your aerobic endurance.
7. There is a Field Test (FT) the final week of each mesocycle to assess your progress.
8. Intensity is measured via FTP-based power levels for every workout. Therefore, you'll need to know your FTP and training zones. If you don't, use the Field Test to determine your FTP and create training zones using the power-based levels proffered by Dr. Andy Coggan and Hunter Allen.
Let me know if you have any questions and have fun!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|6:39 hrs||2:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||6:39 hrs||2:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?