v2.0 - XC/MARATHON MOUNTAIN BIKE: 9-Week Base-Prep Plan (Phase 1 of 4) - Reusable
Cody Waite, Sessions:6 Sport PerformanceAll plans by this Coach
9-Week Base Prep Plan for XC/Marathon MTB - Re-Usable
Written by Cody Waite, Endurance Coach, Professional Endurance Athlete and co-owner of Sessions:6 Sport Performance
The Base Prep is phase 1 of your training program, emphasizing improvements in technique, general strength, and the beginnings of aerobic base building. Your best race season STARTS HERE!
My 9 week Mountain Bike Base Prep plan is designed for XC and/or Marathon MTB racers coming off a short break from the completion of their previous season. After this short rest period, it's time to focus on strength development in the gym and basic aerobic fitness on the bike. This plan will help you make the most of your transitional 'off-season' time and prepare you for more concentrated base training in the 'pre-season' part of your training year.
BASE PREP PHASE: The first three weeks of the program eases you into a weight training program (a 12-page detailed document is included via email), followed by 5 weeks of a 3 days per week strength building program. Riding throughout this phase is intended to be fun and aerobic in nature to allow for proper strength gains while saving the structured riding for the next phase.
The 9th week of the program is a recovery week to absorb the strength gains and provide recovery for the next phase of training found in our PART 2: 12-week MTB Base Phase training plan. Weekly hours range from 6-10+ hours with room for adjustments for more or fewer hours to fit your needs.
REUSABLE: You can easily reuse this plan each year in the off-season or for additional "A" races within the same season as break between larger cycles of training.
- Ability Level: Beginner to Advanced (adjustable by overall volume)
- Number of Weeks: 8 training + 1 recovery/test (you can increase the number weeks for more strength work as desired)
- Training Days per Week: 4-6 (adjustable to your goals)
- Training Hours per Week: 6-8+ (depending on your preference of riding/aerobic volume)
- Equipment Needed: gym membership or strength equipment at home, HRM, power meter preferred
- INCLUDES: detailed strength training program; and bike technique drills.
More Plans in this Series:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?