v2.0 - XC/MARATHON MOUNTAIN BIKE: 12-Week Base Plan (Phase 2 of 4) - Reusable
Cody Waite, Sessions:6 Sport PerformanceAll plans by this Coach
12-Week Base Plan for XC/Marathon MTB - Re-Usable
Written by Cody Waite, Endurance Coach, Professional Endurance Athlete and co-owner of Sessions:6 Sport Performance
The Base phase focuses heavily on aerobic-strength development along with gradually increasing intensity within adaptable quantities to prepare you for your Race Prep phase of training that follows.
My 12-week XC/Marathon Base Plan is designed for cross country and marathon racers looking to improve their cycling fitness over the "pre-season". Although this is PART 2 of my 4-part program (Base Prep, Base, Race Prep, Race), you can begin with this phase if you have at least a few weeks of riding in your legs. This plan can be done on its own before you do your own build program or can be followed up with my specific Race Prep plans for either XC or Marathon racing.
BASE PHASE:My 12-week Base plan includes my highly successful 12-week Stationary Trainer Series set of training sessions. The workouts are designed to improve your complete cycling ability for off-road racing of all distances, XC, marathon and ultra-distance. The series begins with leg-speed and cycling-specific strength development, then progresses to build aerobic endurance before adding in intervals at and above your lactate threshold.
Included is a very detailed desciption of the equipment you'll need, target training zones, intervals and session layout. There are twelve 75-minute progressive workouts, intended to be performed 1-2 times per week. A progressive aerobic strength ride is included on the weekends as well as 1-2 additional endurance rides are included for maximum training gains.
REUSABLE: You can easily reuse this plan each year in the off-season or for additional "A" races within the same season as break between larger cycles of training.
- Ability Level: Intermediate to Advanced (adjustable by overall volume)
- Number of Weeks: 12
- Training Days per Week: 4-7 (written for 7 days, but can be consolidated to as few as 4)
- Training Hours per Week: 7-15+ (depending on your preference of riding/aerobic volume) (depending on your preference of riding/aerobic volume)
- Equipment Needed: gym membership or strength equipment at home, HRM, power meter preferred
- INCLUDES: detailed strength training program; and bike technique drills.
More Plans in this Series:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?