Tim Cusick - Coach of World and National ChampionsAll plans by this Coach
About This Plan
The Leadville Trail 100 race is not just a marathon bike race; it has a total elevation gain of over 11,000 feet, including a 10-mile climb that reaches an oxygen-lacking elevation of 12,600. Whether you're trying to win the race, earn a belt buckle for the under-9-hour mark, or just finish within the time constraints, getting prepared is crucial.
This training plan will prepare you for the world-famous Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race. It is designed for an intermediate/advanced cyclist who already has a general base fitness and is ready to step up the hours, time, and intensity to prepare for this grueling event. It includes three specific training cycles with threshold testing throughout and an event taper at the end. Workouts are progressive and include fatigue resistance, micro-intervals, and double workouts to push you to your peak! You'll also get tons of training and event tips too, plus a free nutrition eBook, to make this your best event ever.
- Typical week: Monday off; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 2- to 2.5-hour workouts; Friday easy; Saturday, Sunday volume days
- Progressive schedule with rest week every fourth week
- Testing included to assure accurate training
Benefits of this plan
- Written by Tim Cusick, coach of multiple champions, with coaching tips throughout
- If you follow the plan as written, you will increase your fitness and race/event performance
- Our user guide helps you through the entire process
- Free nutrition ebook from nutritionist Dr. Namrita Brooke, attached to the first day of the plan
- Get access to videos and educational webinars from Coach Tim
- Free strength training routine from Menachem Brodie
Really enjoying the 12 week plan I'm on and have definitely noticed a nice improvement in my cycling fitness/stamina - good stuff Tim, thank you! (Jim V.)
We've got more plans!
Tim Cusick has written dozens of training plans for many different areas of cycling: road, gravel, time trial, mountain bike, cyclocross, indoor training, and more. Click here for a full list of his current plans by sport type.
Click here to view a list of frequently asked questions about our training plans. If you don't find your answer there, please email us directly.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.