Tim Cusick - Coach of World and National ChampionsAll plans by this Coach
12-Week Masters Indoor Trainer Base Plan
Written by Tim Cusick, TrainingPeaks WKO Product Leader and master coach with BaseCamp
Coach Tim Cusick’s 12-week indoor trainer base plan is structured and ready to load into your smart trainer or device! This plan is designed to maximize your results while spending less than ten hours a week on the trainer and features a little additional rest and slightly less interval frequency then the non-masters plan.
Train with the coach of national and world ITT champion Amber Neben! This 12-week trainer base plan uses Coggan Classic Training Levels and is designed for the serious competitive cyclist. Includes power, heart rate and perceived exertion. The workouts can be used in the traditional format or as structured workouts that can load to your smart trainer or select devices (Garmin, RGT, ErgVideo Free, TrainerRoad, and more) so you can see your workout and interval numbers right on your screen.
This indoor cycling training plan has been designed to give you a simple, predictable, progressive approach to building your base aerobic fitness and muscular endurance and raising your general efficiency through pedaling drills. This plan features a hefty dose of Tempo and Sweet Spot Intervals and a mix of high cadence drills to develop a strong aerobic base while improving your muscular endurance, stamina, and fatigue resistance. In the later phase of the plan, force work is introduced to help build strength as you prepare to move into the build phase of your training plan.
Included with your plan:
- Instruction sheet (attached to the first day of the plan)
- Testing protocol
- Daily/weekly coaching comments and tips
- Free strength training routine from Menachem Brodie
Need help loading your structured works to your device or smart trainer? Click here to read instructions.
We've got more plans!
Tim Cusick has written dozens of training plans for many different areas of cycling: road, gravel, time trial, mountain bike, cyclocross, indoor training, and more. Click here for a full list of his current plans by sport type.
Click here to view a list of frequently asked questions about our training plans. If you don't find your answer there, please email us directly.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.