Transition season plan emphasizing more core and strength than enduance volume.
Exercises focus on injury prevention by utilizing many stabilizer muscles and single leg exercises.
Core work balances work of anterior and posterior musle groups.
Need a stability ball (med size) All exercises are demonstrated in this 2 min video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=colL_Kope7w ___________________________________________ 2 X 12 reps (single leg moves do 12 per leg) __________________________________________ - Stability ball push up > pike > pull in (do each of 3 moves in sequence. 3 moves X 4 = 12) - Single leg lift keeping hips stable (start position on back with feet on ball) - Hands to feet pass with ball - Knee drive to chest from forearms on ball - Straight leg hip lift with heels on ball - Hamstring pull in - Forearm plank spiderman (drive knee to elbow and alternate) * on mat, not ball - Explosive push up - Box Jump (use 12 or 18 inch box. Jump from deep squat/ land cushioned and soft - quiet land) *Can modify and do controlled step ups without jumping for non-impact option.
30 minutes to 1 hr yoga practice from class, dvd or self instructed
Keep it in Zone 2 today. Spin easy with cadence 90 for the first 10 minutes. Drills: 1 min Single leg drills / 4 reps each leg 5 min easy spin with top of the pedal drill. Focus smooth full circle pedal stroke with a primary focus on the scraping from your heel then completing the power stroke with the top of the stroke keeping power! repeat both drills once spin easy to the end pulling all the technique together.
Do one set of mini band as warm up:
- 15 lateral walks each direction
- 15 front kicks
- 15 rear kicks
- 15 cross body kicks
Main set 5 exercises, 12-15 reps 2 sets:
- squats holding one 15-20 lb dumb bell with both hands at chest height
- hamstring pull in with stability ball
- lateral step up to chair or box holding 15lb in opposite hand. Engage core tightly!
- walking lunges holding 10-15 lbs in each hand
- spider man plank (12 reps knee to outside elbow)
- single leg deadlift holding 15lb in opposite hand tipping forward in airplane motion with leg extended to the back. Low back flat like a table top.
10 min spin low resistance high cadence Off the bike: 60 second static bridge lift 15 bridge lift repetitions feet flat 15 bridge lift repetitions on toes 15 bridge lift repetitions on heels w/ toes up Stretch hips in a figure 4 stretch 12 push ups perfect form - on knees if needed 10 super man lifts with knees slightly bent like parachuting. 10 min on the bike: (1 min low resistance / high cadence alternate w/ 1 min higher resistance and slower cadence) Aim for a resistance that slows your cadence to 60-65 like climbing a hill. Off the bike: 60 second static bridge lift 15 bridge lift repetitions feet flat 15 bridge lift repetitions on toes 15 bridge lift repetitions on heels w/ toes up Stretch hips in a figure 4 stretch 12 push ups perfect form - on knees if needed 10 super man lifts with knees slightly bent like parachuting. 10 min on the bike: (1 min low resistance / high cadence alternate w/ 1 min higher resistance and slower cadence) Aim for a resistance that slows your cadence to 60-65 like climbing a hill. cool down: 10 min spin low resistance high cadence
With Mini Band:
- 15 lateral steps each direction (toes pointing forward/ knees tracking over ankles
- 15 front kicks
- 15 back kicks
- 15 cross body kicks
- 60 sec forearm plank hold (booty and core TIGHTLY held in and take deep inhales and exhales)
- 12 superman lower back lifts
- 12 bird dogs each side (opposite arm / leg balance on hands and knees)
- 60 sec high plank (top of the push up) with knee drive to opposite elbow
Ride your bike, hike or walk to get your legs moving but nothing too strenuous. Can go over 1 hour if you want to