12-week Triathlon Base Program--novice swimmer focusAll plans by this Coach
This base plan is designed for the novice triathlete who wants to focus on improving swim technique and endurance, while maintaining a solid bike and run base. To begin this plan, you should be able to swim 20-30 minutes, cycle 90 minutes and run 45 minutes.There are 3-4 swim, 2-3 bike and 2-3 run workouts scheduled each week. There are also strength and core workouts scheduled and at least one complete day off from training each week. The first week’s total training volume is 6 hours & 45 minutes and the plan slowly builds to the maximum volume of 11 hours & 20 minutes in week eleven.
The plan follows a 3-weeks “on,” 1-week “off” pattern of work weeks & rest week. Following the first rest week (#4), second rest week (#8) and during week #12 there are time trial effort workouts scheduled to evaluate your fitness levels and with the data, you can set your heart rate zones, power zones and swim pace. If you do not train with a heart rate monitor and or power meter, you can still follow the plan using “Rate of Perceived Exertion” chart (see below for a link).
RPE Chart: http://www.coachbuxton.com/Rating_of_PE.pdf
Swim drills: http://www.coachbuxton.com/Drills-FreestyleSwim.pdf
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.