Ryan Eckert, MS, CSCSAll plans by this Coach
This is an intermediate base plan designed to help a triathlete develop a sound base of aerobic and anaerobic conditioning in preparation for a more demanding competitive season, build plan, or race-specific plan. This training plan is prescribed and individualized based on pace, heart rate, and Rating of Perceived Exertion (1-10 scale) and assumes that an athlete has the equipment necessary to swim, bike, and run. This plan is designed for "intermediate" athletes that have a history of at least 6-10 months of consistent triathlon training with at least 2-3 swims, bike, and runs per week with a mixture of both aerobic sessions and some speed-work. Additionally, it is recommended that the athlete have performed strength training on at least 1-2 days per week over the past 6-10 months, or at least have a basic foundation of strength upon which to build with strength training as this training plan includes a progression of heavy strength training. Finally, it is recommended that the athlete has the ability and basic competency to swim, bike, and run without pain. This is a base plan, so the athlete can be coming off of a post-season break and do just fine starting with this plan.
Note: When viewing the weekly training volume preview on TrainingPeaks, keep in mind this training plan includes both a mixture of time-based sessions and distance-based sessions; so the weekly training volume will be expressed in terms of both time and distance.
This training plan comes with a few documents/resources that will prove useful to athletes while following. along to the prescribed plan:
1. Instructional Booklet - Contains basic educational and background material that will help the athlete successfully complete the training plan and learn about the training process
2. Exercise Technique Guidebook - Contains pictures and descriptions of over 80 exercises that will help the athlete successfully complete training sessions prescribed within the plan
3. Training and Racing Zones Chart - This will be useful in documenting your swim, bike, and run pace and heart rate zones to be used during training and racing; these zones will bet set by performing tests regularly throughout the training plan
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the swim sessions within this training plan include:
-wetsuit (if swimming in colder open water venues during training or racing)
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the bike sessions within this training plan include:
-bike (standard road bike or triathlon-specific bike are ideal)
-proper cycling clothes and attire (cycling shoes if desired and cycling shorts and jerseys)
-flat kit (can be kept in saddle bag or in jersey pockets while riding)
-heart rate monitor
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the run sessions within this training plan include:
-proper run clothing and attire
-heart rate monitor
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.