Intermediate 10-Week Triathlon Base Plan
Ryan Eckert, MS, CSCSAll plans by this Coach
This is an intermediate base plan designed to help a triathlete develop a sound base of aerobic and anaerobic conditioning in preparation for a more demanding competitive season, build plan, or race-specific plan. This training plan is prescribed and individualized based on pace, heart rate, and Rating of Perceived Exertion (1-10 scale) and assumes that an athlete has the equipment necessary to swim, bike, and run. This plan is designed for "intermediate" athletes that have a history of at least 6-10 months of consistent triathlon training with at least 2-3 swims, bike, and runs per week with a mixture of both aerobic sessions and some speed-work. Additionally, it is recommended that the athlete have performed strength training on at least 1-2 days per week over the past 6-10 months, or at least have a basic foundation of strength upon which to build with strength training as this training plan includes a progression of heavy strength training. Finally, it is recommended that the athlete has the ability and basic competency to swim, bike, and run without pain. This is a base plan, so the athlete can be coming off of a post-season break and do just fine starting with this plan.
Note: When viewing the weekly training volume preview on TrainingPeaks, keep in mind this training plan includes both a mixture of time-based sessions and distance-based sessions; so the weekly training volume will be expressed in terms of both time and distance.
This training plan comes with a few documents/resources that will prove useful to athletes while following. along to the prescribed plan:
1. Instructional Booklet - Contains basic educational and background material that will help the athlete successfully complete the training plan and learn about the training process
2. Exercise Technique Guidebook - Contains pictures and descriptions of over 80 exercises that will help the athlete successfully complete training sessions prescribed within the plan
3. Training and Racing Zones Chart - This will be useful in documenting your swim, bike, and run pace and heart rate zones to be used during training and racing; these zones will bet set by performing tests regularly throughout the training plan
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the swim sessions within this training plan include:
-wetsuit (if swimming in colder open water venues during training or racing)
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the bike sessions within this training plan include:
-bike (standard road bike or triathlon-specific bike are ideal)
-proper cycling clothes and attire (cycling shoes if desired and cycling shorts and jerseys)
-flat kit (can be kept in saddle bag or in jersey pockets while riding)
-heart rate monitor
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the run sessions within this training plan include:
-proper run clothing and attire
-heart rate monitor
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?