Dave Sheanin and Mike Ricci USA Triathlon Coach of the Year and USAT Level III Elite CoachAll plans by this Coach
- Co-created by coaches Dave Sheanin (USAT Certified Coach) and Mike Ricci (D3 Head Coach, USAT Level III Certified Coach, Coach of the Year, and 2017 World Team Coach).
- Together, they coached the University of Colorado Triathlon team to 4 consecutive National Titles (2010-2013).
- Leave your smartwatch in your backpack: the focus of this plan is on the fundamentals of excellent form, rather than yardage.
- This plan is intended for new swimmers and swimmers whose pace is 1:40 per 100 to 2:00 and beyond
- It covers the fundamentals of freestyle swimming for triathlon and can be used as a good refresher for any beginner or intermediate swimmer.
- Sessions are kept short so that swimmers are not fighting fatigue while dialing in technique.
- Frequency is higher than most other programs with 3 highly structured, 30-40 minute primary workouts plus 3 more lightly structured, 20-30 minute practice/experimenting sessions per week.
- Includes videos that break down the mechanics of great form and explain each drill.
- Busy life? Our programs are designed for the age group triathlete who has a busy life with a full-time job, a family and/or other responsibilities. These plans provide time-efficient workouts - with no junk miles. Get in and get it done!
- Time management. In this program, the longer workouts will be on the weekends, and the weekdays will consist of shorter workouts.The objective of this plan is to improve your swim fitness with consistency and frequency. There is a lot of swimming over many days, but it all adds up to a faster swim time come race season.
- Test your progress. During the plan, there will be periodic testing to assess your fitness and re-adjust your Heart Rate and Power Zones. If you don’t train with HR or a power meter, that’s fine. The tests are still good training as you can also measure improvement based on time and effort.
- EVIDENCE! Our plans are carefully designed with evidence-based training science, technology, and wisdom from one of USAT’s highest professionally certified coaches. You will gain confidence week-by-week that you are ready for race day.
- Coach Support: Private, Team D3 Facebook group to ask our USAT Certified Coaches questions
- Knowledge: Premium content, instructional videos, and training tips
- Teammates: Gain support and camaraderie from other like-minded athletes through Team D3
- Savings: Team D3 Partner Discounts
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.