A 9 week training plan for intermediate middle distance athletes, consisting of
6 week build phase which includes a 'big weekend' where the 3 disciplines are completed over full race distance on consecutive days
3 week race prep/peak phase which includes a metric day where all 3 disciplines are completed back to back over distances which are the metric equivalent to mileage (except swim which is full distance)
All swims listed as Lido should be completed in 50m pool or open water if possible, using wetsuit as much as possible to replicate race conditions.
midweek turbo sessions can be replaced with commutes, but should still include intervals as close as possible to % ftp shown
sessions prefixed with 'RW' indicate that this is recovery week and as such intensity should be slightly lower or duration is reduced for workouts.
long rides should be done on TT or race bike as much as possible in this period.
rides and runs listed as course recce should be completed on actual race course if possible, if not try to replicate the course terrain as much as possible.
All swims in Lido or open water should be competed in wetsuits where possible to replicate race day, unless your swim is likely to be non-wetsuit.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.