This 8 week training program is designed as an off-season or pre-season running program for a triathlete focusing on running as a limiter. This is a great plan to work on running as a weakness or for any triathlete prepping for an upcoming season so they are ready to start with a high baseline of fitness and consistent run volume.
There plan follows an 4-week mesocycle with 3 build weeks and one recovery/regeneration week. Volume is tracked by time rather than distance to accommodate different running speeds. Run volume ranges from 4 hr 10 min in week 1 to 5 hrs 35 min during week 7. So fast runners averaging 7:30 min/mi might be completing 32-44 miles per week, whereas a runner averaging 10 min/mi will complete 25-33 miles per week.
The program starts with a running field test found on our Middaugh Coaching website:
And descriptions on performing benchmark protocols is found here:
The first 4-week block of training is focused on endurance with key workouts in the Tempo zone as described in the zones spreadsheet. The second 4 week block moves into threshold training at and around 10k race intensity. Long runs progress from 80 minutes to the longest run at 2 hours.
Swim and bike workouts are also included with two days/wk in each discipline as well as run-specific strength training.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.