SPRINT-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, FINISH YOUR FIRST, EXPERIENCED RUNNER, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a sprint-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
• Prepare for your first sprint-distance triathlon: swim = 400m, bike = 13 miles, run = 5k (your race distances may vary slightly).
• Plan is intended for an experienced runner who has little or no background in swimming or biking.
• Plan is for 12 weeks, culminating with your race.
• Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
• If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
This sprint-distance plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from Your First Triathlon. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan.
Who is this plan for?
This 12-week, easy-to-follow plan is intended for an experienced runner who is training for his or her first sprint-distance triathlon and who has little or no background in swimming or biking. The run workouts are more advanced than in the plan for the beginner with no experience.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your race. You should be running regularly before starting.
What is the training like?
Training includes one daily workout with optional workouts you can also do if you have the time.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You do not need a power meter, heart rate monitor, or any devices to use this plan. (Note that this plan does not include expected workout TSS and does not use the “Workout Builder” format.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you.
“Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.” —Joe Friel
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|0:42 hrs||0:15 hrs|
|1:47 hrs||1:10 hrs|
|1:24 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|0:42 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||0:42 hrs||0:15 hrs|
||1:47 hrs||1:10 hrs|
||1:24 hrs||1:00 hrs|
||0:42 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?