SPRINT-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, FINISH YOUR FIRST, NEW TO ALL 3 SPORTS, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Train smart with a sprint-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
• Prepare for your first sprint-distance triathlon: swim = 400m, bike = 13 miles, run = 5k (your race distances may vary slightly).
• Plan is intended for a beginner who has little or no experience with swimming, biking, or running.
• Plan is for 12 weeks, culminating with your race.
• Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
• If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
This sprint-distance plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from Your First Triathlon. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan.
Who is this plan for?
This 12-week, easy-to-follow plan is intended for the beginner who is training for his or her first sprint-distance triathlon and who has little or no experience with swimming, biking, or running.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your race.
What is the training like?
Training includes 6 workouts per week with 2 workouts in each sport, plus optional weightlifting. There are optional workouts suggested if you have the time and want to train more in any given week.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You do not need a power meter, heart rate monitor, or any devices to use this plan. (Note that this plan does not include expected workout TSS and does not use the “Workout Builder” format.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you.
“Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.” —Joe Friel
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|0:42 hrs||0:20 hrs|
|0:54 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|0:53 hrs||0:40 hrs|
|1:03 hrs||0:45 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||0:42 hrs||0:20 hrs|
||0:54 hrs||0:30 hrs|
||0:53 hrs||0:40 hrs|
||1:03 hrs||0:45 hrs|