This test will determine your Critical Swim Speed. Enter this in your TrainingPeaks settings (see below) to see the planned distance and duration for all swim workouts.
6 x (50 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests),
4 x (25 FS in Z4 + 25 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests).
1 x 400 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
5 mins easy active recovery,
1 x 200 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
1 min rest.
400 Choice in Z2
For all swims (whether in a Yard or Meter Pool) follow the distances in the Workout Description section. There is also yard/meter button you can toggle in the Workout Details section below.
This fitness test helps you update your power and heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
15 mins in Z2,
5 mins as (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
10 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z2 (easy/steady),
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
5 mins in Z1 to Z2 (easy).
These workouts involve a main set of efforts at threshold pace. They will boost your pace and increase your ability to hold race pace for longer.
1 x (150 FS in Z2 + 50 FS in Z4 + 10 secs rest),
1 x (100 FS in Z2 + 100 FS in Z4 + 10 secs rest),
1 x (50 FS in Z2 + 150 FS in Z4 + 15 secs rest),
1 x (100 FS in Z4 + 10 secs rest).
Main Set: Repeat 2 sets of 500 as below:
1 x (100 FS in Z2 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (100 FS in Z3 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (100 FS in Z4 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (100 FS in Z5 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (100 Pull in Z2 + 5 secs rest).
1 x (100 Kick in Z2 + 100 FS in Z2 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (50 Back in Z2 + 50 Breast in Z2 + 5 secs rest),
1 x (200 Choice in Z2).
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 6 (Exercise 6)
3. Step Up: 3 x 10 (Exercise 7)
4. Bench Press: 2 x 12 (Exercise 14)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 16)
6. Bird Dog: 3 x 8 (Exercise 19)
7. Lying Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 (Exercise 20)
8. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 21)
9. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 28)
Flexibility: 10-15 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30 - 50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
10 mins in Z2,
5 x (20 secs in upper Z2 + 40 secs in low Z2).
10 mins in upper Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2,
9 mins in upper Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2,
8 mins in upper Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2,
7 mins in Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2.
10 mins in Z2.
Get off your bike and run. Do the first 10 mins in Z4. Then ease down into Z2 for the remainder of the workout.