8-Week Absolute Beginner Sprint Triathlon Plan
Alison Freeman: USAT Level II, IRONMAN®, & TrainingPeaks Level 2 Certified Triathlon CoachAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
STRUCTURED PLANS. PROVEN RESULTS.
Coach Alison Freeman is a:
- USA Triathlon Level II Certified Coach
- Ironman University Certified Coach
- Training Peaks Level 2 Accredited Coach
She has proven success with first-time and beginner triathletes.
About the Plan:If you are an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER training for your first Sprint Distance Triathlon, then this plan is for you! The plan provides different training levels for each of the three triathlon sports. Select the Level most appropriate for your fitness level for each of swim, bike, and run on day one of the plan, and stick with that Level for the entire 8 weeks. It's not necessary to use the same Level for all three sports! You might be Level 1 for the swim, Level 3 for the bike, and Level 2 for the run. That's ok!
The plan starts in week one with 4 workouts, and builds to the plan maximum of 6 workouts by week 3. Two bike-run "bricks" are included in weeks 4 and 6 as well as one swim-bike-run race day simulation in week 5.
A typical week has 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 2 runs. Your days off are Mondays, your long rides are on Saturdays, and your long runs are on Sundays.
Workout Distances & Durations:
The plan begins with:
- a 300yd/m swim for Level 1, an 800yd/m swim for Level 2, and a 1600yd/m swim for Level 3
- a weekend bike of 6-8 miles for Level 1, 12-15 miles for Level 2, and 1-2 hours for Level 3
- a weekend walk/jog/run of 1.5 miles for Level 1, a 3 mile run for Level 2, and a 5 mile run for Level 3
You will build to:
- a 1000yd/m swim for Level 1, a 1600yd/m swim for Level 2, and a 2000yd/m swim for Level 3
- a 12-15 mile bike for Level 1, a 15-18 mile bike for Level 2, and a 1-2 hour bike for Level 3
- a 3.5 mile walk/jog/run for Level 1, a 4 mile run for Level 2, and a 6 mile run for Level 3
Coach Alison’s plans are designed to set you up for success!The main goal of this plan is to fully prepare you for race day. Alison incorporates training strategies with proven success to ensure that your fitness is where it needs to be when you toe the start line. Don’t spend your time worrying about whether you’re training correctly - put your trust in the plan so all you need to worry about is executing.
Have questions?Email Coach Alison.
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|