"I'm delighted with how the training has gone. I feel that I have moved from 'age grouper' to 'serious age grouper'. Next step is 'elite age grouper'." Lawrie Procter, October 2015.
• Email access to the author
• PDF guides on “How To Use Your Training Plan” and “Strength & Conditioning”
• Monthly email training advice newsletter
• Training zones using feel, heart rate, power or pace
• Advice on how to incorporate other races into your plan
You can start this plan any Monday or simply set it to end on race day. This version is for people who's target race is a Saturday. There are normally seven workouts per week, consisting of 2 swims, 2 cycles, 2 runs and a strength workout. There's a rest day each week and every fourth week is easier to help your body recover. For success with this plan we suggest you already have 12 months experience of triathlon training.
• Screenshot of the first 2 weeks (JPG)
• Screenshot of the hardest 2 weeks (JPG)
Phil Mosley. Coaching Editor of Triathlon Plus Magazine: Full Coach Biography
- Browse our 130+ plans for all triathlon distances.
These sessions will be done at lower intensities, but will progress in duration. We'll also include technique work.
All in Zone 2 with 10secs rests:
3x(100FC, 50DRILL, 100PULL, 50DRILL).
200FC alternating (100 in Zone 2, 50 in Zone 4, 50 in Zone 2) with 20secs rests.
200FC in Zone 2 +15secs rests,
4x50PULL in Zone 3 +10secs rests,
200FC in Zone 2 +15secs rests.
2x100PULL in Zone 3 +10secs rests.
All in Zone 2:
4x50 as (25DOG, 25FC) +5secs rests.
These sessions are designed to build your lactate tolerance, without leaving you too exhausted afterwards.
12mins easy jog.
3x5mins in low Zone 4 with 60 second recovery walk/jogs.
5mins in Zone 2
These swims will build your speed for race day. We'll start off fairly easy and build up gradually.
All in Zone 2, with 5 secs rests.
200FC, 100KICK, 100BACK, 100PULL.
4x150FC BUILD (do each 150 slightly faster than the one before) +30secs rests.
1 minute rest.
4x100PULL BUILD (do each 100 slightly faster than the one before) +15secs rests.
1 minute rest.
4x50FC BUILD (do each 50 slightly faster than the one before) +15secs rests.
200 in Zone 2, mixed strokes
These short mid-week workouts are well suited to an indoor bike trainer. They are fairly high intensity, so there's no need to make them longer. They prepare your body for longer efforts in the Build phases.
5mins easy in Zone 2
5mins as (10secs in Zone 4, 50secs in Zone 2).
2,3,4 mins all in mid Zone 4, all with 2mins rest in Zone 2.
3,2,1 minutes in upper Zone 4 with 2mins rests in Zone 2.
5mins in Zone 2
The idea of these workouts is to improve muscle control and posture - not to get really big and muscly. Stop each exercise a little way before you start shaking/getting fatigued. That way you won't be too sore to train the following day.
5mins light CV exercise in Zone 2 (not run).
- One leg squat in front of mirror. As many as you can do with balance and good form - stop before soreness. ONE SET ONLY. Once you can do 20 easily, start using light dumbbells.
- Double calf raise (1 set of as many as you can but stop before soreness sets in). Add dumbbells once you can do 20 easily.
- Reverse lunge in front of mirror. One Set. Add dumbbells once you can do 20 with balance and good form.
- Front plank (1 rep only - as long as you can hold).
- Side plank (For as long as you can hold. One rep on left arm, one rep on right).
- Slow Press Ups (2 sets, as many as you can)
- Pull Ups from a bar (2 sets, as many as you can)
Stretching: Calves, pectorals, hamstrings, quads, glutes, adductors. 20-30secs each.
During the main set of this workout you'll do several efforts at a relatively fast pace. Don't stress about getting the Zones exactly right, it's not easy on such short efforts. Just aim to run each one at a pace that feels pretty hard for you.
10 mins in Zone 2.
10x200m in upper Zone 4 to low Zone 5.
With 60secs jog/walk recoveries.
5 minutes jog in Zone 2.
These workouts are designed to maintain your fitness and improve your feel for the water, without leaving you feeling too fatigued.
200 as (25DRILL*/25PULL) in Zone 2 +20secs rest,
200FC breathe every 3 strokes in Zone 2, +20secs rest,
8x50FC BUILD** +15secs rests.
3x200 as (50PULL in Zone 2, 100FC in Zone 3, 50PULL in Zone 2) +20secs rests.
300 as (25KICK/50FC) all in Zone 2 +20secs rest.
100 as (50BACK/50BREAST) all in Zone 2.