Scott Herrick, A Better AnimalAll plans by this Coach
Whether you’re a complete novice to triathlon or an experienced athlete coming back from a layoff, this plan will get you ready to comfortably finish an Olympic distance triathlon and become a Better Animal.
We will guide you to steadily build fitness as well as cover equipment, logistics, and nutrition needed to complete the distance of: 1.5km Swim, 40km Bike, and 10km Run.
Training Days & Hours
- Weekly hours start at just under 5 hours (including strength) and builds to just over 7 hours
- 6 days per week + 1 rest day
- 4 days have 1 workout, and 2 days have 2 workouts to include a short strength session
Recommended Devices for Workouts:
This Training Peaks plan is designed to be as simple as possible to follow using minimal equipment and technology. The workouts are all specified prescribed using a range of 5 zones, from Zone 1 very easy to Zone 5 very hard. These zones are also mapped to both a description and a commonly used scale called the Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) which rates effort from 1 to 10.
While you can train and execute a great race by just basing your efforts on how hard the work feels, we have also included heart rate ranges for the bike and run. These ranges also fall into Zones 1 to 5.
Recommended fitness level to start:
- Swim: Able to swim for about 30 minutes total time and about 300m without stopping using freestyle stroke
- Bike: Able to bike for about 45 min of steady pedaling (indoor or outdoor)
- Run: Able to run easy for about 30-40 minutes/5km without stopping
- Training days per week: You are consistently doing some endurance training 1-3 days per week or have a strong endurance background
If you are below these levels, you can add extra time in your calendar to build up, and then start the 14 weeks.
Please see this companion guide for more details of the training plan including: strength planning, race day logistics, and equipment selection:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.