Alissa AndersonAll plans by this Coach
This eighteen-week olympic plan is written for triathletes with at least one to two years of experience who want to train for improved performance on race day.
The plan prescribes 3 swims, 3 bikes, and 3 runs per week. Some of the bikes and runs are combined into "bricks" (to practice transitioning to running immediately after biking). The weekly volume ranges from 5.5 to 11 hours. Workouts prescribe both time and suggested distances. In most cases, pay more attention to getting in the prescribed time. However, for the long bikes/runs, try to get in a minimum of the prescribed distance.
Monday is the rest day as this plan is written and there is a rest week every third or fourth week.
The workout intensities are prescribed using both RPE (perceived rate of exertion) and heart rate training zones. For more information about training using RPE and heart rate zones, please download the "Plan Details."
This is a periodized plan which progresses from a base building block (which builds volume and adds force skills, speed skills, and some zone 3 work), to a muscular endurance block (Threshold work), to an anaerobic endurance block (VO2 max work, Lactate tolerance reps), and finally to a race-specific block (very race-specific workouts). The race-taper is two weeks, with a gradual reduction in volume as well as duration of intensity work. Race week has a good balance of rest and smaller doses of intensity to keep you feeling fast and sharp.
This is a Monday to Sunday plan, so the plan should be applied to your Training Peaks account with a Monday start date.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.