This Olympic distance training plan is good for those who have done the sport for a year or so looking to improve their performances across swim, bike and run.
Its a 16 week program incorporating 2 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs and 1-2 S&C sessions a week. The number of hours builds from around 6 hrs a week to 10 hrs a week and includes a taper week into a race on week 16.
All the bike and run sessions include a workout builder so you can upload to zwift for the bike sessions and your garmin for the run sessions. They also include a descriptor for those who don't use these devices.
Week 1 includes 2 time trials to help you workout your swim paces. VO2+ = 200m pace, VO2 = 400m pace, CSS= 1500m pace, Aerobic= CSS+ 3-5seconds per 100m, and easy =CSS +5-10 sec per 100.
Its worth doing an FTP test before you start doing this plan. Therefore, you'll need a way of measuring power. An easy way to do this is to do a 20 min all out effort, work out what 95% of this power is and that gives you a fairly accurate measure of your FTP.
on this plan there is 1 harder run session and 1 long run a week. For the harder run there is a mix of 10k and 5k pace workouts. Which can easily be uploaded to your run watch, this will then guide you through the session.
These sessions can be done at home or at the gym. I've attached video links to help guide you through the session
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.