Matt FitzgeraldAll plans by this Coach
This is your bare-bones Olympic distance training plan – the minimal training you need to do to complete such as race without suffering inordinately.
It is well suited to beginning triathletes who want to start with an Olympic distance race, and to any triathlete who wants or needs to prepare for such a race with a low-volume training plan. There are only 6 scheduled workouts a typical week: 2 swims, 2 rides, and 2 runs. In weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8, a 10-minute transition run is tacked onto the end of Saturday’s bike ride. In weeks 10 and 14 a bike-run brick workout takes the place of Sunday’s run.
The plan is 16 weeks in length and includes an optional sprint distance tune-up race at the end of Week 12. The base phase is six weeks long and the build and peak phases five weeks apiece. Weeks 4, 8, and 12 are recovery weeks and the final one is a taper week. An optional tune-up sprint triathlon is scheduled for week 12. If you don’t have the opportunity to do one, do a brick workout instead.
It begins with 1,600 yards of swimming, 1 hour of cycling, and 50 minutes of running in Week 1. It peaks with 3,000 yards of swimming, 3 hours and 5 minutes of cycling, and 1 hour and 41 minutes of running in Week 15.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.