Matt FitzgeraldAll plans by this Coach
This training plan is designed to prepare you for a successful Olympic-Distance triathlon performance in 16 weeks. In a typical week there are 9 scheduled workouts: 3 swims, 3 rides, and 3 runs. In Weeks 2, 4, and 6, a 10-minute transition run follows Saturday’s bike ride. In Weeks, 8, 10, and 14, a bike-run brick workout replaces Saturday’s ride.
The base phase lasts 6 weeks and the build and peak phases last 5 weeks apiece. Weeks 4, 8, and 12 are recovery weeks and the final week is a taper week. An optional tune-up sprint triathlon is scheduled at the end of Week 12. If you can’t find a sprint triathlon to do at that time, or if you prefer not to do one then, just do the alternative brick workout instead.
If you’re chasing age-group prizes but still want to keep a sensible ceiling on your training volume, this plan should be a good fit. It begins with 5,000 yards of swimming, 3 hours and 30 minutes of cycling, and 2 hours and 8 minutes of running in Week 1. It peaks with 8,100 yards of swimming, 5 hours and 30 minutes of cycling, and 3 hours and 16 minutes of running in Week 15.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.