This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z1-Z2 (easy/steady).
Run/jog for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Try to keep a steady pace but if you need to take walk breaks that is OK. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
Get warm or dry clothes on and walk for 5 mins. Optional gentle stretching session after.
This test will determine your Critical Swim Speed. Enter this in your TrainingPeaks settings (see below) to see the planned distance and duration for all swim workouts.
6 x (50 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests),
4 x (25 FS in Z4 + 25 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests).
1 x 400 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
5 mins easy active recovery,
1 x 200 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
1 min rest.
400 Choice in Z2
For all swims (whether in a Yard or Meter Pool) follow the distances in the Workout Description section. There is also yard/meter button you can toggle in the Workout Details section below.
This fitness test helps you to set your power or heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
12 mins in Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
5 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
A steady run, mainly in Z2. You should be able to chat at this intensity. This is your long run for the week and it will progress in duration. They will gradually build your endurance.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Legs and Core Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 10 (Exercise 1)
2. Squat Jump: 3 x 12 (Exercise 2)
3. Single Leg Squat: 3 x 10 (Exercise 3)
4. High Knee: 3 x 10 (Exercise 9)
5. Box Jump: 3 x 8 (Exercise 10)
6. Bicycle Crunch: 4 x 10 (Exercise 26)
7. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 21)
8. Spider Climber: 3 x 10 (Exercise 25)
9. Side Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 23)
Flexibility: 5-10 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 45 secs - 2-3 mins as required.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
Ride mainly in Z2 today. At some point (once you're fully warmed up) do:
2 x (10 min efforts in upper Z3 to low Z4 with a 3 min recovery in Z1- 2).
These longer bike sessions are mostly done at an easy/steady Z2 effort, there is a main set of long efforts at just below your threshold pace. These will help increase your threshold power without leaving you feeling excessively tired afterwards.
Get off your bike and run in Z2.