OLYMPIC-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, INTERMEDIATE ATHLETE, 6-10hpw, HR MONITOR, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with an Olympic-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Prepare for an Olympic-distance triathlon: swim = 1,500m, bike = 40k, run = 10k
- Plan is intended for an intermediate triathlete whose goal is to improve in his or her age group.
- Plan is for 12 weeks in the Build to Peak training periods, culminating with your race.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
This Olympic-distance Build-Peak plan for the intermediate athlete was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Triathlete’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the intermediate triathlete of any age who has been training for two or more years and has a goal to improve his or her age group performance or get a new personal best time at an A-priority race, Olympic-distance race. It differs from the similarly titled Advanced plan in that it has fewer workouts and a lower weekly training volume. The plan uses common triathlon language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. By the end of 12 weeks you will have excellent Olympic-distance race fitness.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your race. The last week (race week) of the plan is designed for either a Saturday or a Sunday race. You should be capable of swimming 45 minutes, running up to an hour, and biking for up to 90 minutes. You should have swim, bike, and run training zones set before starting this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
The weekly volume ranges from 6–10 hours per week, including 3 swims, 3 bikes, and 3 runs, plus combination bike-run workouts (bricks) scheduled throughout to prepare you for the race. Self-testing is included to help gauge progress toward a high age-group placing. A weightlifting program is not included, but suggestions are made if you intend to continue a strength program that was started in your preceding Base period plan. (If you haven’t been lifting weights prior to this plan, don’t start now.)
Do you need any devices or apps?
You must have a heart rate monitor to use this plan. (There is a similarly titled plan for athletes who have a power meter along with a heart rate monitor that can be used on the bike.) This plan was created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that workouts may be uploaded to a device (heart rate monitor, indoor trainer, etc.) or a third-party app to help you follow them precisely. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?