80/20 Triathlon: 2020 Edition IRONMAN® Level 0 (5 to 12 Hours per Week)


Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden - Over 55,000 Training Plans Sold

All plans by this Coach


21 Weeks

Typical Week

2 Day Off, 2 Run, 2 Swim, 2 Bike

Longest Workout

3475 m swim
6:00 hrs bike
2:40 hrs run

Plan Specs

triathlon ironman beginner

This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.

Still have questions about this plan?


Every training plan is built specifically to use within the TrainingPeaks desktop apps, iOS app, and Android app. During purchase you will be asked to login or create a free account to start your training.


80/20 Endurance

Plan Description

Meticulously crafted from the principles laid out in Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden's best-selling book 80/20 Triathlon, this Ironman Level 0 training plan will prepare the athlete to complete their first Ironman. Each week, cycle, and the complete 21-week plan has been specifically formulated to match the research articulated in Fitzgerald's publications and ensures the triathlete adheres to the 80/20 principle.

Target Athlete

This plan is designed to enable first-time Ironman participants and even first-time triathletes to finish strong in an Ironman event. Before you begin, you should be comfortably able to swim and run for 45 minutes, cycle for 60 minutes, and complete at least three total hours of aerobic exercise over seven days. The weekly training volume starts at approximately 4.75 hours in Week 1 and peaks at approximately 12.5 hours in Week 19.

Level Guarantee

Not sure which level is right for you? Each 80/20 plan comes with a Level Guarantee: if you discover that the level you have selected is too hard or too easy for you, simply contact us for a complimentary switch to a different level within the same distance category.


Robust support resources and documentation for your plan, including zone guidelines, can be found at the 80/20 Resources page. Purchasers of this plan will be able to contact the authors Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden directly in order to request clarification on any items that may be unclear in the plan.

Bundles and Subscriptions

Save up to 50% when you bundle an 80/20 plan and a TrainingPeaks.com Premium subscription with our Bundles and Subscription offerings.

Please note that the because the swim workouts in this plan are prescribed by distance, not time, the plan preview above does not include average weekly swim values. The plan, however, does include appropriate swim workouts.


Training Load By Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Average Weekly Training Hours: 05:54
Training Load By Week
Average Weekly Training Hours: 05:54
Average Weekly Breakdown

David Warden

80/20 Endurance

80/20 Endurance is the creation of Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden. Based on the breakthrough books 80/20 Running and 80/20 Triathlon, runners, triathletes, and other endurance athletes improve the most when they consistently do 80 percent of their training at low intensity and the other 20 percent high intensity.The typical endurance athlete spends only 50-70 percent their total training time at low intensity. The solution? An 80/20 training plan that ensures the optimal intensity balance.

Back to Plan Details

Sample Day 1


5 minutes in Z1, 35 minutes Z2, 5 minutes Z1

Sample Day 2


200 yd Swim Zone 1, 400 yd Swim Zone 3, 120" rest, 200 yd Swim Zone 3, 120" rest, 200 yd Swim Zone 1

Sample Day 3


5 minutes Bike Zone 1, 20 minutes Bike Zone 2, 3 x (5 minutes Bike Zone 3/3 minutes Bike Zone 1) 5 minutes Bike Zone 2, 6 minutes Bike Zone 1

Sample Day 4


5 minutes in Run Zone 1, 50 minutes Run Zone 2, 5 minutes Run Zone 1

Sample Day 6


500 yd Swim Zone 1, 5 x (100 yd Swim Zone 3/15" rest) 500 yd Swim Zone 1

Sample Day 6


5 minutes Bike Zone 1, 10 minutes Bike Zone 2, 6 x (1 minute Bike Zone 5 uphill or simulated/2 minutes Bike Zone 1), 40 minutes Bike Zone 2, 5 minutes Bike Zone 1

Sample Day 8


5 minutes Z1, 28 minutes Z2, 4 x (1 minute Z4/2 minutes Z1)

80/20 Triathlon: 2020 Edition IRONMAN® Level 0 (5 to 12 Hours per Week)

$84.95 - Buy Now