LONG-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, UNDER OR OVER 50, 18-20hpw, BIKE POWER METER, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a long-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
• Prepare for a long-distance triathlon: swim = 4k, bike = 180k, run = 42.2k
• Plan is intended for an advanced triathlete of any age who has completed at least two long-distance races.
• Plan is for 12 weeks in the Build to Peak training periods, culminating with your race.
• Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
• If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
This 12-week long-distance Build-Peak-Race plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Triathlete’s Training Bible and Going Long. Having these books handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This challenging training plan is intended for an advanced triathlete of any age who has a goal of improving their personal best race time or finishing on the podium. An advanced athlete is someone who has been in the sport for 3 or more years, has completed at least two long-distance races, and is focused on high performance. You should be able to train 20 hours in a week. The plan uses common triathlon language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. Weekly coach's comments from Joe are included to help you to navigate the plan.
When should you start the plan?
Start this plan exactly 12 weeks before your A-priority race weekend. You should have recently completed a Base training period with at least 20-hour weeks and be able to swim 1 hour, bike 3 hours, and run 2 hours in separate workouts. Your training zones should be established before beginning this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
Weekly volume is 18–20 hours per week. Besides training hours this plan also forecasts what your Training Stress Score (TSS) will be for each workout. Of course, it’s likely that your workout TSS will be somewhat different when you finish the workout. Besides workout duration, TSS also takes into account what the intensity of your session was, so it’s a better predictor of performance gains than is workout duration.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You will need a power meter for bike workouts. Run workout intensities are mostly heart rate–based with occasional options calling for goal race pace or perceived exertion. Swim workout intensities are based on T-times (pace per 100) or perceived exertion. The workouts were created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that they may be uploaded to a device (power meter, heart rate monitor, indoor trainer, etc.) or app to help you follow them precisely. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you.
“Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.” —Joe Friel
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|4:01 hrs||2:30 hrs|
|7:46 hrs||5:30 hrs|
|3:28 hrs||1:15 hrs|
|0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||4:01 hrs||2:30 hrs|
||7:46 hrs||5:30 hrs|
||3:28 hrs||1:15 hrs|
||0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?