OFF SEASON PLAN 2019 // 70.3 and 140.6 // 18 WEEKS // INTERMEDIATE to ADVANCED
Ryan FalkenrathAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
OFF SEASON PLAN 2019
Advanced to intermediate athlete
Off season for 70.3 or 140.6 athlete
BEFORE YOU BUY THE PLAN, check out the virtual training groups. Entry into the group comes with off season plan, race specific plan, bi-weekly calls, mentoring and more.
Before starting plan, you must be relatively fit, injury free and with no health concerns. Consult with your doctor before starting any training plan.
Be able to: swim 500 meters continuously, ride 60 minutes, jog 45 minutes
A typical week includes: 2-3 swims (build to 2000 meters or yards), 3-4 bike rides, 3-4 runs, 1 to 2 strength sessions from 15 to 30 minutes
This plan utilizes heart rate zones and reported perceived effort. Use of heart rate monitors is not required, but suggested. If distance is called out, perform workout to that distance. Times and distances are estimated. Where distance is called out, time is assumed. DO NOT feel obligated to meet time and distance. Do what's called out in comments. Bike workouts typically meant for trainer or spin bike, but can be translated for outdoor rides. If workout does not have a warm up listed, it is implied that there should be a 5 minute warm up jog/spin with dynamic stretching before getting into main sets. If workouts will be done as a brick, wait for static stretching AFTER last session for brick. Most strength routines can be done in 20 minutes. If done after another workout, no need for a warm up. Most are body weight, so don't need to be at gym. The days that have two activities are typically bricks. Keep mind to skip one cool down and one warm up. Great for AM workouts to hit trainer and then a quick run or strength session. The term "**SUPPORTING**" is on workouts that would be great if it happened, but other workout is more important. Athlete has option of doing it if time allowed, but ok if not done.
Visit www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and click on example plan links for advice on determining heart rate zones, access other sample plans, workouts and Zwift workout files.
- EASY RUN // ZONE 2 to low 3 // Low intensity, conversational pace.
- GOAL RACE PACE (GRP) // ZONE 3 // pace aiming to sustain for your race
- SIMULATION RACE RUN (MS): First half segment of run performed at 60 sec/mile slower than GRP or easy pace, second half segment performed at Goal Race Pace.
- LONG RUNS // ZONE 2 to low 3 // runs are performed at 60-70 seconds slower per mile than GRP. Keep pace easy and aerobic.
- ANAEROBIC THRESHOLD REPEATS (AT) // ZONE 4 to 5 // repeats (essentially 1M-2KM in distance) should be performed approximately 10km race pace. Recovery interval should consist of walking or easy running before performing next repeat. A repeat is amount of time that is performed at AT.
- STRIDES // Gentle sprints. Smooth, relaxed and easy running accelerations lasting about 10-15 seconds or 60-80 yards/meters. Reach a speed of about 80% of max. Rest about 1-2 minutes between strides
- WARM UP // RUN // 5 to 10 min easy pace + 5 min dynamic stretches
- WARM UP // BIKE // 10 min easy spin @ 90-100 rpm
- COOL DOWN // 5 to 10 min easy pace
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one coaching or consultation on plan, please head over to www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and fill out contact form, email or message me.
I am a USAT Level 1 Certified and IRONMAN U certified with 6 years coaching experience and 14 years racing experience.
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|3:15 hrs||1:30 hrs|
|2:41 hrs||1:15 hrs|
|3:20 hrs||2:00 hrs|
|0:52 hrs||0:45 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||3:15 hrs||1:30 hrs|
||2:41 hrs||1:15 hrs|
||3:20 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||0:52 hrs||0:45 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor